Review the last game you finished

Moderator: X-3

I am nobody

Re: Review the last game you finished

Post by I am nobody » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Ended up finishing a ton of extremely short games I got for free last weekend:

54. Copoka (8/25) (PC)

A revolutionary government took over the country and closed all the borders and started rationing medicine because of something about a war. They've got propaganda speakers and everything, but you don't care because you're a bird. You just fly around and steal people's glasses and whatnot to put in your nest while conveniently overhearing all sorts of important conversations.

It's a neat idea that could've been something really special with a bigger budget. As it is, you don't really see anything and the world doesn't appreciably change in any of the four chapters. They set themselves up for a great, if extraordinarily pessimistic, twist, but then don't commit to it. You don't really have any meaningful interaction with the world. It feels like a tech demo for something bigger, basically.

55. Another Lost Phone (8/25) (PC)

The latest entry in a bizarre "found phone" genre of basically identical games. This one does absolutely nothing to shake up the gameplay formula, but it does tell a pretty unique (for games) story about a woman becoming trapped in and eventually escaping from an abusive relationship. It's alright.

56. Woten (8/25) (PC)

A really short and really easy puzzle platformer about collecting fruit to feed to a friendly giant bat. Some of it is cute and/or clever, but it's never anything particularly remarkable or innovative.

57. 2000:1 A Space Felony (8/26) (PC)

System Shock by way of Portal by way of Ace Attorney. You take pictures of stuff on a doomed spaceship in order to confront a possibly evil but definitely somewhat silly AI with its crimes. It over-corrects the AA problem with leaps of by color coding so aggressively that you don't really need to think about it at all, but it's still entertaining. I think they did something interesting with the final sequence, but they went a little too hard on leaving it up to player interpretation, and I'm not sure if they meant it or not.

--------------------------------------------

Wouldn't really recommend any of them unless you get them free, and even then they're not must-plays.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Abandoned:
Spoiler.
Shenmue: Stand around all day with **** all to do only to do a brief QTE and then be told you need to stand around all day again in order to wait for the next uninteresting thing to happen. The writing is subpar and the voice work is appalling even for a late '90s game. I can appreciate the role it played in inspiring great games like Yakuza and Persona, but I'll do so by playing those games instead.

Two Point Hospital: It's a solid management game that inexplicably forgoes a sandbox mode in favor of forcing you to play a repetitive campaign that introduces mechanics way too slowly and drags out each level at least twice as long as it needs to. I lost interest about halfway through.
58. Aaero (9/7) (PC)

It tries to combine music games and rail shooters and ruins both. Levels have almost nothing to do with the music, there's very little variety in the rather short tracklist, and the scoring system makes basically no sense. As a shooter, it's pointlessly easy save for the fact that you're trying to lock on to red objects with a red crosshair and red indicators, which sometimes means you haven't locked on to a threat when you think you have. That's immensely frustrating, and it's also the only thing resembling a challenge on most of the levels. It's possible that it gets better on higher difficulties, but it makes you pass all the normal levels with 5 stars before you can play those, and the hour it took me to pass the songs with any number of stars was already too much.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:21 am

Donut County

Donut County is a super charming puzzle game with a great sense of humor and soundtrack. It's a game where you start with a small hole and you have to eventually put every item in the stage through the hole as it gradually gets bigger. So it's very Katamari-esque. The game's super short (it'll probably take you less than 2 hours to finish it) and I wish the puzzles were a bit more challenging, but I had a great time playing through. If you have an iPhone, I'd suggest getting the iOS version of the game for $5 because I don't know if it's worth $15 on PSN or Steam. But if you're looking for a really charming time-waster during your commute or something, I highly recommend Donut County for mobile. I can't remember the last time a game has made me chuckle as much as this one.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:34 am

R-10. Dishonored (9/14) (PC)

As much as they're visually, thematically, and, at a surface level, mechanically similar, Dishonored isn't much like its sequel at all from a gameplay standpoint. When D1 gives you magic ninja powers, it forces you to take them and then emphasizes how cool they are and how much you should be using them. When D2 gives you magic ninja powers, it's with an accompanying prompt that basically says "but a real hero wouldn't depend on Steampunk Whale Satan!", and the rest of the game is set up to be doable as a regular person.

I hadn't touched D1 for five years before this week, so I came in expecting something like D2 and didn't initially have a great time with it. The game really has no answer even to the basic Blink power, so careful sneaking just isn't very satisfying. Then I got impatient and started rushing things, and in the process accidentally stumbled on where this game shines. Methodically picking the levels apart in the way you would a normal stealth game isn't fun when the enemies are so inept, but trying to keep ghost while sprinting through the levels is a blast. D2 is hands-down the better stealth game, but there aren't many other games out there that offer speed stealth in the way this does, and so I think there's still an important place for D1.

That said, it does show its age in a few places. A few characters (Piero) are appallingly badly acted, ambient conversations are very obviously just randomly picked from a set of questions and answers and often don't make any sense, and the AI is dumb as toast even without having to deal with magic powers. The static parts of the world are as amazingly well done as they are in D2, but many of the moving parts could've used another pass.

All in all, still a great game and well worth playing as long as you go in with the right expectations.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:40 am

Calamity Panfan wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:21 am
Donut County

Donut County is a super charming puzzle game with a great sense of humor and soundtrack. It's a game where you start with a small hole and you have to eventually put every item in the stage through the hole as it gradually gets bigger. So it's very Katamari-esque. The game's super short (it'll probably take you less than 2 hours to finish it) and I wish the puzzles were a bit more challenging, but I had a great time playing through. If you have an iPhone, I'd suggest getting the iOS version of the game for $5 because I don't know if it's worth $15 on PSN or Steam. But if you're looking for a really charming time-waster during your commute or something, I highly recommend Donut County for mobile. I can't remember the last time a game has made me chuckle as much as this one.
So you played the iPhone version and liked it? I was intrigued by the game, but everyone I heard talk about it was playing on PS4, and I wasn’t sure if the iPhone version would be worth it.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:13 pm

I think it is. The iOS version also comes with a fun sticker pack for iPhone as well. From what I can tell the gameplay difference is minor. Obviously you'll probably have a better time with a control stick or mouse than a touch screen, but it was fine. Only time using the touch screen really frustrated me was a time or two during the final boss. I mean the game's also obviously gonna be a battery drainer on iPhone as well so I wouldn't suggest playing it a ton if you're going a long period without charger access.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:34 am

59. Old School Musical (9/16) (PC, Switch)

Terrible title aside, OSM has what could've been a really cool idea - it sells itself as a rhythm game where you're playing parodies of Mega Man or Metal Gear in the background instead of being a rock star. With the exception of an incredibly poorly conceived section that has you talking to boring villagers with normal game controls, the parodies are pretty good and the jokes land more often than not.

But that's only relevant in the cutscenes. The core gameplay consists of pressing the arrow keys in sync to either directional falling notes or left-right drums, but it's often not at all obvious how the patterns on screen relate to the music, and even if it were, the tracks themselves are so chaotic that success depends a lot more on reading the notes than having any kind of rhythm. I maybe could've lived with that if there was at least something fun going on in the background, but each section of music is usually just the same action over and over again. Usually it's just a million enemies being swatted away by one of your heroes even if that makes no sense for the game it's referencing.

Worse, the music doesn't always have anything to do with the game it's supposedly referencing, and I've got to seriously question some of the picks. The Mega Man and one of the Zelda levels use recognizable elements from those game's famous soundtracks, but there's nothing distinctive about the level that seems to be every JRPG at once, and the level that obviously uses the Pokemon RSE tileset doesn't even have midi trumpets.

I guess the name should've been my first hint that the devs didn't put too much thought into this one, but I'm a sucker for weird rhythm games. I hope someone else picks up this idea and makes a good game with it, but OSM itself isn't worth your time.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:00 pm

60. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (9/24) (PC, PS4)

I'm going to be rather negative for bit, so I'll lead by saying that Ni no Kuni II is a brilliant game that surpasses its predecessor in almost every way and is easily a GotY contender. It's a million little systems that aren't necessarily amazing or innovative on their own, but that play off each other in compelling and consistently entertaining ways to create a game that's hard to put down once it gets going.

But it's also got three glaring flaws, in my eyes. The first is its baffling choice of protagonist: Evan. He's an overdesigned version of FFIX's Zidane, but void of any interesting personality traits and with practically nothing to contribute to the plot. His voice acting is flat, he doesn't have interesting relationships with any of the other characters, and the game barely even shows him adding to his kingdom with anything other than generic and painfully trite speeches. He's without a doubt one of the least interesting protagonists I've ever seen in an otherwise good game, and it's all the more frustrating for the fact that none of the other supporting characters have any of the problems I just mentioned. I'm convinced they only added him to the game because he's a better visual fit for the whole Ghibli thing the first game did than Roland, who the story is actually about.

Second, I hate to go all "constitutional peasants" on this, but despite ostensibly being about how great it would be if kings united the world, the game unintentionally makes a far more compelling argument that strange magic fairies lying in shrines distributing magical doodads is no basis for a system of government. Nearly every major problem anyone has in this game is caused by their monarch (or equivalent) going crazy for power or losing touch with reality and ruining their kingdom in the process. All of the monarchs in this game are terrible at their jobs, and as the game is seemingly eager to point out, only succeed because of the people beneath them. And then the message is that monarchy is great and the game literally ends with a king taking personal credit for everything while people cheer. I could maybe let that go and say they probably didn't think about it if they weren't so on the nose about all their other attempts at political commentary. I won't spoil the individual kingdoms, but the legendary ancient one is called "Allegoria", because this game is *really* not subtle.

Lastly, the music is really bland. There are a handful of tracks I might listen to outside the game, but they don't play often, and the others are completely forgettable.

But it's worth putting up with all that, because everything else about the game is spot-on. Combat has evolved (teehee) from the vaugely Pokemon thing the first one did to an action RPG system that's a bit Zelda and a bit Tales and works great throughout. There's no transition to combat in dungeons, and battles are both less frequent and faster to fight than before, so exploration isn't weighed down by constant tedious battles any longer. The overworld is very nearly open world and is filled with quests and secrets that, if not always mechanically interesting, are diverse and well written enough to stay fun. It's also ****ing gorgeous.

The real highlight is kingdom building, though. This starts off disappointing since you initially only have a few options and can't even choose where to place buildings, but the choices absolutely explode within a few hours. You end up with a few dozen different types of buildings that all have upgrades and/or unlockable abilities and which need staffing. There's always more to spend money on than money to spend, and recruiting new citizens absolutely nails that Suikoden or Skies of Arcadia feeling.

And then there are all the little systems that'd take a book to go into. There are a hundred higgledies to collect and level up. Sixty boss monsters to find. A randomized dungeon with super treasures. Equipment crafting, citizen levelling, and on and on. Every time you get sick of hearing Evan's stupid speeches, there's a million other things you can go and do for a few hours until you've gotten over it.

tl;dr: It doesn't break this year's trend of nothing being allowed to be good without also being seriously flawed, but it's better and less seriously flawed than anything else I've seen so far. Highly recommended, although I'm still waiting for 2018 to make something I can just say is good.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:31 pm

ok im not good at reviewing but ill give this a shot

Undertale (True Pacifist Run) (9/27) (PC, PS4, Switch)

It was really good? I don't usually enjoy RPGs to completion but I think having the unique battle system with the bullet hell thing was really cool, especially during boss fights where the controls were altered to do different things like jumping and moving on tracks and blocking attacks with a shield. That helped maintain interest since it wasn't just navigating menus the whole time.

Also another thing was like, all the dialogue is great. I can't remember a single time where I was bored reading through a huge wall of text, and I talked to every NPC and read every sign I could find because all of the dialogue was funny or thought-provoking.

And I really enjoyed all the characters, too. They're all quirky and funny and stuff but also have some pathos and it feels really natural, they felt like actual people and I got attached to them, and that's why so much of the stuff that happens in the game and the ending really made me feel stuff.

This game's story made me feel introspective in an actual real way. Like the themes and stuff made me actually think about myself and who I am and what I do and not because the game told me to. Like it didn't pose some phony philosophy 101 question for some hypothetical situation you'd never find yourself in, but it just showed you, like... people, being people, and what the people around them mean to those people. I don't know, I think I'm just rambling at this point.

Anyway 10/10 really good experience, probably my favorite game in a long time.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:23 am

1. Steam World Dig 2
2. Celeste
3. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
4. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King
5. Yoku’s Island Express

Playing some catch-up here:

6. Octopath Traveler

This post is late-in-coming, as I've had the game finished for a few weeks now.

This was a little bit of an impulse buy, and if I could go back in time to shake my past self's hand for making that quick-decision, I definitely would. I loved this game. A lot of my thoughts on Octopath can be found in the thread over in the Nintendo forum, but I'll highlight some things.

The battle system takes the cake in this game. It was always engaging, even in random mob battles. Every encounter had something slightly different to it, and the fact that you could see the turn order for the next two turns allowed you to strategize in interesting ways. Once I got late into the game, I needed to start paying more attention to the turn order, and it made things even better. The Boost and Break system was the perfect amount of micro-managing.

The music deserves the next nod. I have been listening to the soundtrack for Octopath off and on since the moment it came out. Many of my favorite music YouTubers have been dropping covers for the past few months, and all of them are excellent. Each character has a leitmotif and signature instrument, there are multiple battle themes and boss themes, and the battle themes never get old as the game goes on (a mark of a truly good battle theme, IMO.) I could go on and on about the music, but I won't.

I personally enjoyed the story. One of the main complaints people had about the game was that the stories didn't inter-connect enough, but...I just really didn't think the game needed it. The eight stories were individually interesting. I didn't need a giant world-ending calamity to tie everything together (and, spoilers, that happens anyway.) I enjoyed all eight characters, albeit to varying degrees. And one of my favorite parts of the whole game was the travel banter that happens in taverns--especially the three-and-four-person travel banters that happen in the late game. It's that kind of character-building that, to me, helps drive a narrative.

The last big positive thing I'll mention is the job system. I'm a sucker for job systems, and I started this game right after beating another run of FFV, so I was just getting more of what I wanted. I've been extremely interested in hearing what other people's job decisions have been, and it seems like everyone has their own completely different playstyles. I saw one person say they never used the Dancer class, and I was just flabbergasted. I didn't go anywhere without Primrose or someone sub-classed as a Dancer.

My biggest complaint about the game, though, is the endgame. There was a point of no return that gates an area that is extremely time-consuming and difficult, and if you fail, you have to do the entire boss rush again. I died in three turns on the final boss, and my punishment was needing to re-start the entire endgame. Also, the plot gates to get into the endgame are extremely esoteric and basically would have been extremely difficult to find without a guide. This could have been done a lot better.

That major flaw at the end aside, I truly enjoyed this game, and in my current 2018 ranking it's immediately after Celeste. It was excellent.

7. Donut County

Everyone should play Donut County. It's only $5 on iOS, it's tight, it controls well, it's funny, it's very short. I spent about 2-3 hours with it and enjoyed it the whole way through. I probably have more to say, but class is starting and I should stop. This game was great.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:06 pm

61. Civilization VI: Rise and Fall (10/2) (PC)

Rise and Fall sets out to solve one of the major problems I've always had with nation-level strategy games: they're all focused on an unending ascension and almost never provide any realistic means of collapse other than being conquered. Crusader Kings II is inadvertently one of the best examples of this - the Byzantine Empire starts huge and, without player intervention, will almost always end even bigger because the game's systems just aren't capable of simulating the mismanagement that slowly dragged the real Byzantines down.

...Unfortunately, its solution is a bit crap. You earn era score for accomplishing various feats during a global era (I think this is maybe tied to the average civ's advancement, but I'm not sure) and end up in a dark, normal, or golden age in the next era based on your total, which apply some bonuses or penalties of your choosing. The obvious first problem with this is that it isn't actually simulating anything - you can have a "golden era" where you get conquered since it's defined entirely by past achievements, and you can get a military boost golden age brought on entirely by non-military achievements. But arguably worse than that is that it doesn't change your playstyle much - you get era points for basically doing things you would've done anyway, and I found it easy to get golden ages and never saw a dark age. In other words, it really still isn't possible to mismanage yourself to death, and there's not much dynamism in the victory race once leaders are established.

The other changes aren't very consequential. Some of the new wonders and civs are cool, but there's nothing like some of the Brave New World civs that forced a radically different playstyle on you. City loyalty and governors barely factored into my playthrough, and the latter was done much better in the Endless series. Emergencies (which set a coalition against one player that did something bad) could've been cool, but only one ever triggered for me. The new alliance features similarly had almost no role because the AI diplomacy is still mostly nonsense. That just leaves the timeline, which is a cool but not major advancement on BNW's archaeology, and the introduction of cassus belli, which are overly difficult to use.

I also had some technical issues with it that are pretty ridiculous considering how long this has been out. I can only start the game once per time I turn my computer on or it just gets stuck loading forever, the movies are all nearly inaudible and have stutter, and I had a crash and some GUI bugs. Add to that the fact that the GUI is still pretty bad - the civilopedia is a pain to access and the map is missing all sorts of information about what resources actually do or which city is benefiting what tiles - and you're left with a pretty embarrassing state for a two year old game.

It's very hard to recommend Rise and Fall unless you desperately need one of the new civs. The underlying game is still fun, but this expansion isn't meaningful, and I'm still not sure I'd go to VI over V again if I'm looking to play Civ in the future.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:45 pm

1. Steam World Dig 2
2. Celeste
3. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
4. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King
5. Yoku’s Island Express
6. Octopath Traveler
7. Donut County

8. The Messenger

Warning: If you're going to play the Messenger, don't read this review. There is a cool thing that happens about 1/3 of the way through the game and it's much better if you experience it for yourself.

That said...

I liked it. It wasn't the best game I've played this year by any means, but I really did enjoy my time with it. I was really digging the Ninja Gaiden-esque beginning to the game, though I was waiting for it to get more difficult. Instead of a difficulty spike, I was surprised by a Metroidvania game! Unfortunately, the first half of the Metroidvania-style gameplay was a complete slog. The McGuffins you needed to get were all the way across the world, but there was no convenient way to get to them other than traversing looooooong stretches of level that you've already been to before. In some cases, the item you were supposed to pick up wasn't even that obvious. At one point, I missed an item completely and wandered around for another...probably hour of gameplay before realizing that I had found the area I needed to get to, I just didn't get the item to trigger the game's furthering.

That said, once I started unlocking new areas to explore, my interest in the game went way up. Re-treading the first levels was boring, but the new areas unlocked after the Metroidvania-switch were a ton of fun.

The game was also unexpectedly hilarious. I was not expecting that when I was going into it. As far as music goes, the tracks range from absolute bangers (The Music Box) to please stop this right now (the shop music). Some great stuff in there though.

Enjoyed it. Would play a sequel. Probably wouldn't play the first one again.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:45 pm

20.) Monster Hunter World: Eh.

21.) Hollow Knight: I enjoyed this less than last time. The character progression just doesn't feel as good as it does in say in other Metroidvanias due to how stretched out everything is. The boss fights are dope though.

22. Mega Man 11: When I first finished this game, I thought it was good but not great. Playing it further however, I think this game is awesome and it may be my favorite Classic Mega Man game. The quality of life improvements to weapon-swapping give the game a very quick pace that feels like a satisfying middle-ground between the Classic series and the X series. The level design makes great use of Mega Man's full arsenal, and the boss fights manage to feel deep and distinct without grinding the speed of the game to a halt. The Extra Modes lets you try challenges such as time attack, which lets the player learn stages and work out clever strategies to get through them as fast as they can. These challenges alone add a massive amount of playtime for those willing to step up to them.

Another thing to note is the way Mega Man 11 lets players adjust the difficulty of the game. In addition to having 4 separate difficulty modes for casuals and veterans alike, the Double Gear system is designed to give both groups different tools they can utilize to get through the game at their own pace. Screws dropped by enemies and found in stages, meanwhile, can be used as currency to buy Items and parts that can make Mega Man stronger in various ways, similar to the shop of Mega Man 7.

There are only really two problems I have with 11. One is that it feels like a Fortress stage was cut, and as a result this game has a Fortress that is only as long as the original game's. The second is that while the music is decent in its own right, the sound mixing isn't ideal and as a result its tunes aren't really as catchy or memorable as other songs in the series. These issues don't stop Mega Man 11 from being a great return for the series, and a great purchase for fans of the series.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:56 pm

62. Hidden Folks (10/9) (PC)

It's basically those old I Spy books but semi-stick pencil art and a video game. I probably wouldn't have finished it on its own, but it makes for a great podcast game. My only significant complaint is that finding some of the titular hidden folk requires interacting with the world, and those interactions range from mildly clever almost puzzles to annoying brute force clickathons like opening every one of several dozen lockers to look for a thingy.

63. Gremlins vs. Automatons and 64. Gremlins Inc. (10/14) (PC)

I don't know why these are separate titles. They key I got only said it was for the latter, but I got both in my library, and the former appears to be completely identical other than lacking the online mode and Steam Achievements. It also no longer has a store page.

At any rate, the obvious thing to compare it to is Monopoly with a bit of actual strategy or Mario Party without minigames. You move around a board that's absolutely loaded with RNG bull**** by playing cards with a movement value in order to get to specific spaces to play other cards that can be ridiculously powerful. Nothing gets quite to the level of making you instantly win, but some single cards will put you more than 60% of the way there, which makes keeping track of the relative position of players a bit hopeless. That problem is made even worse by the fact the game doesn't show you why things are happening on AI player's turns - sometimes you just get instantly teleported to jail or made to discard cards with no explanation. Even so, the AI player's turns are so slow and uninteresting that I couldn't deal with waiting for more than one of them and played both of my games 1v1.

It might be alright as a gateway to better board games, but everyone already has Catan for that. I'll probably never touch these again.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:46 pm

65. Pictopix (PC) (10/20)

It's Picross. There's not a lot to say about it other than that it's a lot of Picross - beating just the levels that were included at launch took me over 45 hours - and that it's very good Picross. One massive difficulty spike near the end aside, the puzzles build on each other very well and consistently feel like they're testing you just a little more without being frustratingly difficult. It isn't exactly an innovative game, but there's nothing wrong with being the best at something familiar.

66. Return of the Obra Dinn (10/27)

You're an insurance investigator sent to determine the fate of everyone aboard a doomed ship. You do this by scanning their corpses with a magic compass to get a vignette of their final moments, and have to use those scenes to determine the identity, cause of death, and killer of all 50 people on board. It's a really cool detective game that for me was let down by two missteps.

First, while the scenes are presented out of order, they're automatically entered into your magic book perfectly in order. The non-linear presentation is still cool, but I would've liked figuring out when things happened to be a part of the game as well.

Second, once you get to a certain point in the game, it's too tedious to wander around the ship to every corpse (which are sometimes nowhere near the actual point of death) and rewatch every scene in order to find the one or two hints to someone's identity. The game is presented in low-detail monocrhome, which is cool to look at, but makes many characters look all but indistinguishable, and constantly having to zoom in on characters to have their portrait confirmed by the book gets old quickly. Combine the inconvenience of playing the game as intended with the fact that it confirms your guesses whenever you get three correct, and it quickly becomes much easier to do approximate guess-and-check when you've narrowed a fate down to a few options than to fight the systems for those last few hints.

I still enjoyed it, but guess-and-check sleuthing isn't ultimately very satisfying even when you only use it to among 2-3 possibilities. If you have a bit more patience for clunky plot navigation than I do, there's almost certainly a fascinating and memorable game here.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:05 pm

23.) Final Fantasy V

It's pretty cool. The job system is a lot of fun even if it gets kind of linear in endgame. Overall level/HP/damage values being low is a bit strange but in a way it keeps multiple damage types viable. What I really want to talk about though is how Exdeath is the best Final Fantasy villain.

-Powerful name; he is the EX version of death, watch out.
-Cool design, look at him plant (teehee) that sword.
-He has three songs tied to him in a game where most characters have at most one. They are also good songs.
-Threatening as ****; everytime he does something, bodies drop, even when he does something off-screen. By the end of the game he has every character in the game by the throat due to how THE VOID works.
-Speaking of which, he basically manages to unseal himself by possessing people. Cheap, but effective.
-Metal backstory. People sealed so many evil demons into a tree the tree became evil. This may seem dorky at first but think about it. He's not just a bad guy, he's an amalgamation of numerous nameless evils and a corruption of nature itself. This also has immense symbolic value in several ways: his immediate objective is to give birth to a world for monsters and evil, and trees are associated with life. The Crystals shatter during the game due to the man-made machines that harness their power, which can be seen as a parallel to how Exdeath was born when humans used a tree to seal evil things too often. Deep, philosophical, Exdeath.

Additional thoughts: FFV feels to me in like a bridge between two types of Final Fantasy. The first 1/3rd of the game struck me as being similar to FF1/3, in that you go to strange places (ie: a Steamship) for something Crystal-related with no clear overarching villain yet. The second third of the game follows more in line with FF2/4 where there is a clear named villain and you set out to stop him. (while we're at it, Exdeath's fake-out 'defeat' is somewhat similar to the Emperor's own fake-out 'defeat' in FF2) The last third is the same, but is driven by a wide berth of optional content scattered across the world, a sort of prototype World of Ruin.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:58 pm

^Nice, now you can join us for the next Four Job Fiesta.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:01 am

Exdeath is probably my favorite FF villain, even if his name sounds like a 14-year-old's DeviantArt handle.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 pm

67. Sublevel Zero (PC) (10/28)

It's basically Descent as a roguelite. I played few hours of it last year and never got very far. Then I decided to give it one more shot before taking it out of my backlog and accidentally beat it. I'm not sure if I was just bad at it before or got lucky, but it was surprisingly easy compared to what I remembered. Regular enemies never really have an answer to hanging in corners or doorways and spamming them from a distance, and bosses go down emptying your missile banks rather quickly. I don't regret playing it, but I didn't see anything I'm going to remember for very long.

68. Super Mario Party (11/3) (Switch)

I don't know if I can really say I beat this after one game, but there didn't appear to be anything else that obviously qualified as a campaign, so whatever. It's Mario Party. The minigames are fun, but the boardgame is RNG bull**** and you can't take it at all seriously if you want to have a good time. I like that you get a choice about which die to roll (although partner rolls make aiming for specific values or even odd/even pretty pointless) and the games I played made good use of the hardware. I hated the previous MP game I played (8?), so it was a nice surprise to have a decent time with this one.

69. Save the Date (11/4) (PC)

It's a CYOA-type VN about trying to make a date go well. It's also one of those games you really can't say anything about without ruining, but it's free and you should play it. Actual spoilers:
Spoiler.
There isn't a lot of variety in the game over screens, but I really liked how many different ways it gives you of reaching the same failure states to communicate how futile it all is. It's cool that some of the "obviously" wrong choices are how you actually make the most progress in the game, and there's a really neat discussion about plot structure and player interaction in games towards what passes for an ending. It's a great example of making the most of a short runtime.
It's free, has installers for all the major OSes, and takes an hour to play. Highly recommended.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:12 am

Holloween Forever.

Aside from some cheap level design it actually controls really well, it is the only 2D Platformer with a projectile which fires in an arc which I actually like. It's not aesthetically pleasing and the music ranges from bad to turn-the-volume-off, there's not much of a story even by the genre's standards, and it is too short...but I still like it. The Trophies are a bit demanding, especially the one-hit kill run Trophy but I think I'll probably got for the Platinum. The game has an addictive nature and the alternate characters help replay value a bit too.

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a competent 2D Platformer that has great controls and physics above other game aspects, but there's a lot of flaws otherwise. It was an appropriate choice to play for Halloween and Vita is lacking in the genre so I liked it. If I gave it a score it'd be like 6.5/10.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”