China may be committing mass sterilization of Uighr women

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

I am nobody

China may be committing mass sterilization of Uighr women

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 am

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/china-c ... d=71519132
The Chinese government has deployed a mass sterilization campaign against Muslim ethnic minorities in the country's western provinces, according to a new report, which argues the tactics could amount to genocide.

China's treatment of Uighurs, the Muslim ethnic group that has historically lived in China's westernmost province, known as Xinjiang, has come under increased scrutiny in the last couple years, as the Chinese government ramped up what it casts as a "re-education" campaign that uses mass detention camps.

Those camps are used as a form of threat and punishment, with officials detaining women and families who fail to comply with pregnancy checks or forced intrauterine contraceptive devices -- more commonly known as IUDs -- sterilizations, and even abortions.

The result is a huge drop in birth rates among China's Muslim population, even as it moves Han Chinese, the country's main ethnic group, into the mineral-rich region. Birth rates in Uighur areas have plunged by over 60% in the last three years alone, according to the report published by the Jamestown Foundation, a nonpartisan think tank in Washington.

The report said 80% of all new IUD placements in 2018 in China were performed in Xinjiang province, which has only 1.8% of the country's overall population.

The measures have achieved huge drops in birth rate. Population growth in the two districts with the largest Uighur populations fell by 84% between 2015 and 2018 and even further in 2019. One Uighur region had an unprecedented near-zero population growth target for 2020, according to the report.
They had already been accused of committing cultural genocide against the Uighrs by essentially trying to force them to behave and think like good Han party members, but it seems they've now moved on to actual genocide.

Apiary Tazy

Re: China may be committing mass sterilization of Uighr women

Post by Apiary Tazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

Pretty much. F**k China.

Also, Tiktok and Zoom give your data to China, their social credit system prevents anyone from stepping out of line in an even mild fashion, and they're probably about to murder whole swathes of people in Hong Kong for their walk outs last year.

Just to name a few things.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 am

well this is horrible

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Worth pointing out Trump PRAISED China for its treatment of the Uyghr people, just as he also praised the CCP for Tienanmen Square. (But at least that one was only said in a Playboy magazine.)

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:04 pm

**** the CCP

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 pm

"Cultural genocide" is a bad thing now? Well then anyone living in America should be disturbed to know that's occuring here, and European countries. At least there's no camps yet, though I think Clinton suggested the idea.

Anyway, this sterilization thing just serves to reinforce my belief that China is country ran by monsters. And Winnie the Pooh, oddly enough.
Sim Kid wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:37 pm
Worth pointing out Trump PRAISED China for its treatment of the Uyghr people, just as he also praised the CCP for Tienanmen Square. (But at least that one was only said in a Playboy magazine.)
I don't think he's praising this or the re-education camps, so you're being misleading.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 pm

I think you have a very fundamental misunderstanding of what was happening there previously if you think it's remotely appropriate to make that comparison. Do some research.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:53 am

I read a couple articles about it, which should suffice. It's very extreme and frightening what China puts people through, but the end result is not exclusive to extreme measures.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 am

If you want to make another thread about how someone said "Happy Holidays" to you or knocked over a statue of a war criminal, by all means, but we're not derailing a thread about people being locked away in concentration camps to talk about that.

Sim Kid is presumably referring to the part of Bolton's book in which Trump tells Xi Jinping that his treatment of the Uyghrs is "absolutely the right thing to do." The sterilization campaign was not known or had not started at that point, but the camps were in full swing.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:26 am

No need for a separate topic for something mentioned tangentially. Otherwise I suppose you should be telling SK to make another topic about Trump's outdated comments that are unrelated to this sterilization incident too, but you're not...interesting. ;)

While we're sidetracked for a moment about Trump, his approval of those camps is concerning to say the least.
Last edited by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 am

SK will be derailing the thread if he starts talking about Trump in general, but the American president's take on these camps at any point in time hardly seems off topic.

There's a bill in progress right now to sanction two of the leaders of Xinjiang province, where all of this is happening, but doing that already would've been possible under the existing Magnitsky Act. Disappointing that no one in congress can come up with anything new in response to this.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:46 am

The re-education camps are a different topic, especially the entirely unrelated comment about Tienanmen Square from an old Playboy, but sure.

What kind of response is typical for this type of violation? I'm not familiar with any similar cases.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:58 am

The sterilization campaign is largely taking place in the camps, so no, they're not separate issues.

The typical response is to not really do anything meaningful until long after the fact, as seen in Rwanda, Sudan, and very recently in Myanmar. Sanctions are a step up in that sense, but I doubt high level officials in a rural province are going to be terribly bothered by them.

That said, Radio Free Asia, which is funded by the US government, has at least been one of the leading outlets reporting on what's going on and has made a point of broadcasting in Uighur to Xinjiang.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:17 am

It's becoming rather pedantic nitpicking about what counts as on-topic or not, I think there's a point there in itself.

Good to see America doing something then, but the typical response sounds rather dire. You're pretty well-informed about all this stuff.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:12 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 pm

I don't think he's praising this or the re-education camps, so you're being misleading.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... trump-9-11
It’s been revealed that Trump encouraged the mass internment of Uighurs
https://news.yahoo.com/trump-told-china ... 43257.html

Whoooooooops.....

Then again the U.S. has always turned a blind eye just cause China offers money.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:28 pm

I already said it's disturbing that those camps had Trump's approval. However, now that you''re trying to rub it in with those links, now I'm actually not so sure. From your Guardian article:
Former national security adviser John Bolton revealed in an excerpt from his book that Trump had allegedly told the Chinese leader, Xi Jinping, perhaps as early as 2017 and again in 2019, that he agreed with his policy of placing Muslims in mass internment camps.
You don't know what "allegedly" means, do you...? Regardless, I said I don't "think" he's praising the camps--which is present tense, by the way, so I'd still technically not be wrong in any case. ;)

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 pm

You must have missed part of my post where I posted this directly from that article.
It’s been revealed that Trump encouraged the mass internment of Uighurs.
I mean, you did miss that, right?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:28 pm

SK, please lay off the passive aggression. You can make your point without mocking anyone.

The US and everyone else had a proud record of ignoring these things in foreign countries even when (and in fact especially) there's no economic relevance. The aforementioned regimes in Rwanda, Sudan, and Myanmar sure weren't enriching any westerners. Unless it's relatively close to home (Serbia), actively going on the offensive (ISIS, Nazis), or threatening major economic interests (Gulf War), it's relatively easy for people at all levels to just shrug and say it's not their problem. China's nuclear weapons only add to that.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:09 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 am
a war criminal
To whom are you referring, may I ask?
boo---------------the original jägermonster

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:21 am

I'm not going to derail this into talking about Confederate crimes, but honestly pick your poison. I was referring primarily to Lee for reasons in spoilers below:
Spoiler.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ee/529038/
During his invasion of Pennsylvania, Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia enslaved free black Americans and brought them back to the South as property. Pryor writes that “evidence links virtually every infantry and cavalry unit in Lee’s army” to the abduction of free black Americans, “with the activity under the supervision of senior officers.”

Soldiers under Lee’s command at the Battle of the Crater in 1864 massacred black Union soldiers who tried to surrender. Then, in a spectacle hatched by Lee’s senior corps commander, A. P. Hill, the Confederates paraded the Union survivors through the streets of Petersburg to the slurs and jeers of the southern crowd. Lee never discouraged such behavior. As the historian Richard Slotkin wrote in No Quarter: The Battle of the Crater, “his silence was permissive.”

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”