Flu strain with pandemic potential found in pigs.

Moderator: Deku Tree

VG_Addict

Flu strain with pandemic potential found in pigs.

Post by VG_Addict » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:00 pm

Because 2020 has decided we haven't suffered enough.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06 ... inese-pigs
What the world doesn’t need now is a pandemic on top of a pandemic. So a new finding that Chinese pigs are more and more frequently becoming infected with a strain of influenza that has the potential to jump to humans has infectious disease researchers worldwide taking serious notice. Robert Webster, an influenza investigator who recently retired from St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, says it’s a “guessing game” as to whether this strain will mutate to readily transmit between humans, which it has not done yet. “We just do not know a pandemic is going to occur until the damn thing occurs,” Webster says, noting that China has the largest pig population in the world. “Will this one do it? God knows.”

When multiple strains of influenza viruses infect the same pig, they can easily swap genes, a process known as “reassortment.” The new study, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, focuses on an influenza virus dubbed G4. The virus is a unique blend of three lineages: one similar to strains found in European and Asian birds, the H1N1 strain that caused the 2009 pandemic, and a North American H1N1 that has genes from avian, human, and pig influenza viruses.

Calamity Panfan

Re: Flu strain with pandemic potential found in pigs.

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:01 pm

i'm at the pandemic
i'm at the potential other pandemic
i'm at the combination pandemic and potential other pandemic

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:03 pm

too bad for the flu that it's going to get covid too

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:17 pm

I might need to get some lamb's blood ready for plague 10.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Yeah, I don't think this is just a coincidence that it's China again. If this takes hold against the world like the coronavirus then it's an act of biological warfare as far as I'm concerned.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 am

It isn't coincidence; they have the great majority of the world's pigs. The scale of China's agricultural and food industries increases the ability of disease to spread compared to other countries with similarly haphazard safety measures, and the conditions have the same effect when compared with the developed countries that can get to a meaningful fraction of China's scale. Infectious disease experts have been warning about it for years, but we're only paying attention to them now that it's actually had a real effect on everyone.

No government would be dumb enough to develop biological weapons in the wild within its own borders. Pig diseases in particular have been massively harmful to China, since their ongoing outbreak of African swine fever has led to the culling of tens of millions of pigs and unrest.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 am

I am nobody wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 am
No government would be dumb enough to develop biological weapons in the wild within its own borders.
China doesn't give a **** about its own people, and since they have unprecedented control over their country they can lock it down easily to mitigate the damage. I wouldn't put it past them.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:10 am

They literally have ready made camps full of people they've locked off from the rest of the world right now. Why would they be testing a bioweapon anywhere else, let alone somewhere where foreign researchers could get access to it?

The CCP is evil, but they're not Umbrella Corp. If they wanted to test something like this, they have a million better ways of doing it than by infecting a population (pigs) they've already demonstrated a spectacular inability to control. Nevermind that by releasing it into pigs they would've released the virus to natural evolution, meaning that if, when, and where it makes the jump to humans would be completely out of their control.

Or they could just develop it in a lab where they can be sure it won't get out, no one else will know about it, and they can target it to humans from the outset.
Last edited by I am nobody on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 am

Can viruses just stop for five f**king seconds?

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm
Yeah, I don't think this is just a coincidence that it's China again. If this takes hold against the world like the coronavirus then it's an act of biological warfare as far as I'm concerned.
Related to that piece of technology that hte U.S. somehow has to create hurricanes on a whim
...and they waste it on places like Louisiana, Texas, and Florida?

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 pm

If that exists, I'd really appreciate it if they'd stop testing it on me. It works perfectly fine.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 pm

Not to play devil's advocate, but although I don't believe any of these pandemics are biological warfare cooked up in a lab, I'd be more likely to think that maybe they were "socially engineered". You don't really need high-tech equipment to spread a plague and in a sense "weaponize" it. Your agents can be mere humans walking around. You just need to give it a little nudge with agents willing to take one for the team, or even set people up to unknowingly spread it.

But the more obvious answer is that maybe they're just bad at handling this in the same way humans have been bad at handling literally anything ever.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:32 am

The capability to do something stupid is not evidence that someone is actually doing something stupid. The tactics you're describing would work just as well with an agent "taking one for the team" while abroad after they've already made the jump to humans and prepared countermeasures. If it's freely evolving in pigs with other countries already watching it, they've missed the chance to deploy it secretly and can't develop countermeasures until after it's randomly evolved to infect humans on its own in their own country.

This would be one of the most unbelievably idiotic plans in history if it's intentional.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 am

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:32 am
This would be one of the most unbelievably idiotic plans in history if it's intentional.
I got ruff one here for you.

Return to “Current Events”