My Adventures With A Bootleg Piece Of Junk Tablet

Moderator: Jere

Apollo the Just

My Adventures With A Bootleg Piece Of Junk Tablet

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:49 am

I bought a bootleg piece of junk tablet. No, I wasn't scammed, not really. I bought this knowing full well there was a 90% chance it was horse ****. Why would I buy something that is probably junk, you ask? Well, there were 2 outcomes, both positive:

1. Somehow it really is a legit tablet significantly below market value (incredibly unlikely)

2. I have a piece of crap that I have absolutely no qualms taking apart to understand mobile devices

See, the thing about mobile devices, is it is not as much common knowledge how to **** around with them. Desktop computers you are almost expected to **** around with, so there is a lot of knowledge and understanding around that. Mobile devices, though? You're not really supposed to, most companies will just sell you a new phone if yours breaks, it's one thing to replace specific hardware parts etc. but as far as really getting into the nitty gritty of how they work you're not really Supposed To Know, and my [super basic ass] IT cert training didn't go beyond anything other than "how to set up an e-mail account on someone's iPhone".

So despite being now somewhat knowledgeable about how to take apart and put together and troubleshoot and fix computers, I don't even fully understand how mobile device operating systems work much less how to install one.

Anyway, to no one's shock but somehow to my enjoyment, my bootleg piece of crap came in the mail and lo and behold it - a tablet - booted an android phone OS. (Before we go any farther, I will say it had all networking turned off and I made sure no applications had location permissions on or anything; later when I did more experimentation I did it on a WPA2 encrypted guest network with nothing else on it that I enabled for this session with a randomly generated non-advertised string and disabled after. I know it probably inevitably still gave away some location info but honestly my curiosity outweighed how much I really care about that.) Which was hilarious.

This prompted a massive rabbit hole I went through trying to figure out exactly what the original person did, and how I could learn from them, un-do that, and instead do my own ****.

The first thing I did was just press the factory reset button (in software) and see what happened. Well, what happened was the tablet then turned into a brick. Holding the power button did literally nothing. I tried for minutes to no avail. Convinced I'd managed to break it somehow already, I said **** it, and busted it open (carefully, undoing all.... 5 screws keeping it together). The inside was a motherboard labeled M962-MB-V4.0 that is the size of a phone, some ribbon cables connecting it to various interfaces, and I **** you not literally just painter's tape holding some of it together. 'Twas a true sight to behold. I did the tried and true "unplug all the **** you can find to unplug and plug it all back in again."

Unfortunately the battery was soldered to the motherboard and it had been at full charge, so I kind of just did what you aren't supposed to do and yoloed it. Put it all back together again. Still no avail. Was now totally convinced I bricked it, somehow restoring to factory settings **** it up irreparably; my only hope after more frantic Googling was to try and drain the battery completely then plug it in and restart and maybe try to flash the firmware from a computer (that seemed promising but steps still unclear). So my next mission was to deplete the battery.

I tried holding the power button for a long period of time on and off to see if I was unknowingly turning it on/off but without the screen showing this, so that might make it drain faster. I was doing this for about 10 minutes. Then, for literally no reason, when I was in the middle of calling my mom telling her about my adventures messing around with a piece of junk that I had accidentally bricked, it turned on again.

The screen was flickering but that was probably just because I had unplugged the ribbon cable connecting it and hadn't been super careful when reconnecting. After I was sure it was "behaving" (by its standards), I turned it off again and opened it back up and reseated the ribbon cable. It was still flickering, but less, when I turned it back on, and after a few more hours of other **** it seems to have totally stopped flickering for now, and honestly I'm not about to care enough to question that. Maybe it wasn't pushed in all the way but it wiggled itself in. Whatever, who cares.

Anyway, I started really poking around at the settings to see if I could decipher what is going on. I was looking at the list of trusted device certificates and while I'm sure many of them were legitimate and absolutely necessary in order for the phone to function, a lot of them also looked pretty **** suspect, so I went through and yolo disabled them all just to see what would happen. I also force quit a bunch of apps. Then I tried to access the play store using a new created throwaway account but it couldn't check with Google to see if the account was taken because, uh, you know, I disabled all of the certificates so it didn't trust any websites. After some more dicking around I said okay **** it let's factory reset this **** again and see if it bricks again.

I did the reset and this time it rebooted the way it's supposed to (..relatively speaking). I test making the same burner google account and it lets me this time because the certificates haven't been disabled, however when I try to look at the play store it is all a bunch of janky ass apps and anyway clearly some **** ery is up. For example, I could load twitch.tv, but not really navigate anywhere from there and when I tried to click on the "open in app" link to the app store that page gave an error lmao. Not that this is at all a surprise. When networking is disabled it responds relatively as expected although the screen resolution is not quite right (unsurprisingly), but as soon as any webpages need to be accessed that is when it becomes clear it's absolutely loaded with garbage or some ish.

At this point I've done enough googling and poking (again, on an isolated encrypted network no one else has ever used that I only enabled un-advertised in short bursts) that I think my understanding is this person definitely flashed the firmware with a custom rom. Anyone who knows anything about mobile devices probably could have told me that but I prefer to **** around for 4 hours to come to the same conclusion and somewhat of an understanding of what that means. So now, my mission is to see if I can flash it with a different custom rom that will make it actually usable.

I am posting this here mostly just to talk about my completely pointless endeavors, but also if anyone has any experience tinkering with mobile devices, is it possible if I were to put usable firmware on this would that turn it into something I can make use of, or are there just inherent security risks with trying to do anything that probably has built in spyware on it and I should just cut my losses and dismantle it? I would assume that flashing the firmware will literally overwrite anything they put on it, yeah? Or nah? Related question either way, does anyone know any resources on how to learn about custom roms for mobile devices and how the **** that works? I assume I'd base my search around what the motherboard is, or maybe I should start with the kernel number referenced in the tablet's settings.

Regardless of the outcome I am enjoying the journey. That said, I should probably leave a 1-star review and pretend I'm a disappointed mother who legitimately thought I was buying a quality tablet at a great price, just in case anyone who doesn't want to dick around with a piece of junk might stumble across it and mistake it for a legitimate product.

--

edit: oh-ho, maybe this is it in fact... I thought the play store was **** because it wasn't loading the twitch app, but i searched for it instead on the online version and get "your device isn't compatible with this version". so maybe the biggest issue is not some spooky softwrae **** [still playing it safe lmfao like], but just the fact that the hardware is a tablet but the software is a phone so this **** has no **** clue how to handle anything. that might actually explain all the current symptoms just as well as anything actively malicious. or, most likely, a combination of both.

disclaimer i was testing with the twitch app because ultimately i want to use this to play streams in the background bc my phone screen is too small, however i have no intention of logging into my actual twitch account on this **** lmao dw

edit edit: so the current situation is it can do youtube but it cannot do twitch. still only on this encrypted isolated guest network. beginning to question whether the problem is being actively malicious versus passively ****, but definitely still leaning toward both. passively **** is gaining traction however.

In the meantime it is a passable medium to play goodnight youtube math videos on a screen i can actually watch, so i call this a victory (?). ultimately maybe i should see if i can get a decent tablet motherboard for parts somewhere, but then ill have to worry about soldering on the battery and other stuff and idk if im ready for that yet. baby steps

edit edit edit: you know im kind of dumb, since the OS is not actually matching the hardware no **** **** the apps are being janky; the mobile browser versions are gonna be a lot more universal. ok anyway i should go to bed its 2am. go to bed... to my MATH PLAYLIST on a **** BIGGER SCREEN

I am nobody

Re: My Adventures With A Bootleg Piece Of Junk Tablet

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:20 am

Flashing it should be safe as long as they haven't installed some kind of malicious hardware. That's entirely possible, but also pretty unlikely unless you've stumbled onto a CIA cover operation. IMO the bigger risk is connecting an untrusted device to whatever you'd transfer the new rom from. It doesn't feel *completely* implausible that someone's hoping you'll plug it into a real computer so they can attack that. Really unlikely though.

As far as I'm aware, mobile and tablet Android are the same thing unless you've got something really ancient. Maybe they just misconfigured it so it thinks it's running on a smaller screen. Cheap RAM and being years behind on updates could explain a lot of that.

Sounds fun, though. Who supposedly made it? I know there are some legitimate Indian companies that make absurdly cheap Android hardware by cutting corners until its a circle, but dunno if this would meet even their standards.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:35 pm

It's allegedly MediaTek. When it first turns on, there is a low resolution MediaTek splash image and then the "android" logo in appropriate resolution comes on.

The about tablet information in the settings populates the following, but I would take most of this with grains of salt:

Model number: TS-M704A
CPU information: 10-Core 2.5MHz
Screen size: 2560x1600
Android version: 9.0
Baseband version: MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V62,2018/01/03 11:43
Kernel version: 3.4.67 soft@ubuntu #5 Sat Apr 11 10:29:23 CST 2020
Build number: ALPS.KK1.MP1.V2.46
Custom build version: 1586569004

So - the model number, if the entry with that model number is correct, is this crappy phone - http://specdevice.com/showspec.php?id=a ... 3f0033c587 . That is... unless I am going insane, definitely not the hardware we have here. I assume this means it was 'imaged' based on this?

I looked up a posting with the same motherboard ID - https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... e-t3840299 - and comparing it to the picture I took of this thing's guts; at least one chip is missing. Basically here is the situation:

I can make out on the missing chip "samsung klmag2geac-b0.." and based on some googling that seems to be the flash memory. RIP my storage. I am almost curious how this device still pretends to have as much storage as it claims to, I read some posts by other people with cheapo knockoff tablets that said the tablet just multiplied all storage sizes by 4 or something LMAO

I guess the next question is to determine is it possible to remove that little metal cover so I can see what other chips and CPU are actually on this board? Can I do that without breaking it irreparably? I am curious to see how much of a zombie this **** is. On the other hand, I suppose, given that there is literal **** painter's tape holding most of this together, it is probably safe to assume that the plating there was from original manufacturer, considering it aligns with what is on the motherboard as intended, not to mention if the CPU was some jank **** it probably wouldn't work at all. So it might actually be somewhat safe to assume what's in there is what should be in there, and the only chip that was removed was one that was openly easy to remove.

That said, I am guessing that this MT6582 10.1 inch tablet is very close to what this hardware is actually supposed to be. Heck, I'm not even opposed to buying some extra parts online if needed to flesh it out a bit, I'm game for that, but first I want to fully understand what I'm working with. I am sure I can buy that flash memory chip online [in fact I have found a posting] but I also have no experience installing something like this so would want to actually research before making any sort of additional investment.

I think I am going to use some time this weekend messing around with Mediatek Droid Tool, and will report back when I learn anything new.

[Interesting footnote - the settings page populates the supported resolution of 2560x1600 but BOTH the specs for the '''model number''' im p sure is BS, and any info i can find on a tablet/phone/phablet based on the motherboard i found in here (and assuming that MT6582 is the cpu, again not certain at the moment but seems safe bet) support 1280x800. which would explain the low resolution. maybe that's just straight up all this can handle lmao... which honestly is fine, like i said i just got this as a plaything and all i want to do on it is watch twitch streams and youtube videos in the background on a bigger screen.]

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Wait, does it actually say 2.5 *mega*Hz for the CPU?

2560x1600 and a 10 core 2.5GHz CPU would both be pretty crazy for a bootleg price tablet if actually in there, yeah.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Yes, it says Mega. No G's here. :p

I didn't even really give that a second thought because I wasn't really paying attention to the numbers, cuz I was fairly sure they were made up. Now you mention it that's absolutely hilarious. Did they try to put Giga to make it look impressive and **** it up, or what?

If the posting I found from that person with the same motherboard is accurate [save for the missing flash memory] then I thiiink these would be the specs. Again, not certain though - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mediatek- ... 176.0.html - I am also not certain yet whether I can use Mediatek Droid Tool to take a better look at what is actually there or if it's just to flash the firmware, but honestly I really can't ruin this worse than it already is. I am getting my money's worth out of the educational value here.

The motherboard DOES have dual SIM slots and the case accounts for them, so that much checks out.

edit: i guess there is still a possibility that motherboard i have can support different chipsets, in which case i would need to discern what chipset i actually have. i just assumed it would be the one on the posting i found, or comparable. but i guess the only way to know for sure would be to pry off the metal casing and look myself i am just afraid of potentially damaging this highly valuable piece of hardware [lol] so will see if i can use any tools to take a peek from software side first before trying to pry that **** off

--

edit edit: haha, whoops; MTK Droid Root & Tools isn't going to work until the phone is recognized as being MediaTek. Right now (I took a risk and hooked it up to my computer, I am pretty sure it will be fine and I want to figure this **** out) - I enabled developer mode and USB debugging, and my computer sees it as:
"Model name - TS-M704A
Manufacturer - alps
Firmware version - 1.0"

and some serial that is probably BS.

So I can't treat it as a Mediatek device, even though that's probably what it started out as, until its own firmware thinks it is one. Right now it thinks its an "alps" product [matches what is in the device's own about, in the build number].

Back to googling the relevant tools, will update here if any big breakthroughs.

(It's thankfully a slow work day.)

-----

edit edit edit:

okay, so I downloaded a root checker app an this was a great decision because it gave me an idea of what this thing "thinks" it is and hopefully how i can gain access to it.

Root checker gave me the following:

BOARD m82kk_2g_m962l
BRAND alps
CPU ABI armeabi-v7a
CPU ABI2 armeabi
DEVICE m82kk_2g_m9621
DISPLAY ALPS.KK1.MP1.V2.46
FINGERPRINT some bs prob
HARDWARE 6592
HOST ubuntu

theres some other stuff there but what is notable is if [big if] that hardware number 6592 corresponds to "MT6592" then I have an idea of what chipset I have and it's very close to the build I was going off earlier.

Also, my favorite part is that it says the version of Android I'm running is "9.0 (KitKat)", which confirms the 9.0 in the About is unsurprisingly ******** but assuming this is partially good information I am probably running 4.4 (KitKat)... and looking at images of the OS, yes, that looks correct.

So time to figure out how to root 4.4 and go from there.

---

final edit for now:

I need to do a lot more reading before I try more stuff to see if it works. I've tried several approaches to rooting it via applications but the problem is these applications are written for rooting actual legit Android and not weird ******** Android so they've all failed. I want to see if I can do it from the computer side, or if not how to better understand what is going on on the tablet side and how to circumvent all the BS. I have enabled USB debugging so I will try to see if any tools can help me get somewhere. If you see me editing this post again before I've actually done some reading and made real progress tell me to go be productive.

---

ok real quick. u kno the version of android u are running is SUPER legit when u type in a question in the browser and the default search engine is yahoo LOOOOL

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:45 pm

HAHA JUST KIDDING OK IM IN i didnt enable usb debugging i just thought i did. mtk droid root & tools is working, now to tread carefully. updates when i either make grand discoveries or brick this lmao

also, it is MT6582, as expected. so i more or less have what i thought i did based on that one user's post, except missing the flash memory chip.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:47 pm

Okay, so I am about to call it a day, but I have good news.

I followed some very hard-to-follow instructions that were created by someone who translated it to English as best they could but the remnants of a language barrier made it a bit difficult. But we got there.

1. Enabled USB Debugging

2. Installed, extracted, ran MTK Droid Root & Tools.

3. Tried to just use the get root feature in MTK Droid Root & Tools but unfortunately it didn't work, but it did lead to instructions on how I could set it up myself. These instructions are the language barrier I was referring to, but it's all good, we got there.

The instructions are here if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, which I sincerely doubt:
4. My understanding of what we did in those steps was make a backup, and then use the Smart Phone Flash Tool to create a clockwork mod recovery file, flash the tablet with that and then when we booted it into recovery mode we were able to install super user and recover from a factory file as opposed to the file that was on the tablet.

I also know the flash tool can be used if I want to actually flash the firmware with a custom ROM and make more changes than just these but as of now I am treading with caution since I do not fully understand what all of this means just yet.

Now, this all didn't quite work exactly as expected, just yet. SuperUser was installed, but when I tried to use it to get root using droid root & tools i got an error "--- ERROR : file adbd not install !" - and I tried the quick fixes I got on a precursory google, but to no avail.

THAT SAID!!

I think the recovery boot did actually improve things somewhat?? I am treading carefully because I still don't fully understand what I did, but like for example I installed the YouTube app and it's able to actually play videos in a decent and watchable resolution.

I still wasn't able to install the Twitch app... I am also getting lots of promoted ads for the TikTok app... and judging from the fact this original product I am pretty sure was a Chinese product..... well, let's just say Twitch was removed from the app store in China recently and conspiracy brain thinks this is a somewhat reasonable correlation to draw.

The good news is the Twitch app **** sucks and there is a 3rd party app that was available and I installed that and it was no worse a viewing experience than the 1st party app would have been, and everything loaded and looked good etc.

I'm still keeping it quarantined on the unbroadcasted guest network and not logging into any real accounts whatsoever. I'm wondering if it's possible to flash the firmware in a way that won't brick it but will alleviate paranoia brain (also the thing still has all of that ******** spec info) - but since the *original* firmware is still a cheap Chinese product maybe this is as good as I will get without randomly going out of my way to take several classes in mobile operating system development.

So I guess where we are at:

* Much better performance, so to at least some degree some **** that was slapped on top by the person who ripped this apart and literally taped it back together was un-done using this recovery method... or somehow I'm making it up and nothing is different? Perhaps I've just become accustomed to this performance? But, like, no I tried using the YouTube app before and it was literally unusable. So something has improved.

* SuperUser installed but haven't done anything with it and still can't quite get it for full root access

* OS still clearly KitKat that claims to be android 9 but do I care?

* Able to view videos on YT and Twitch (the latter only on 3rd party app) with exactly the quality and screen size i was looking for: bigger and watchable with no noticeable delay.

* I will probably not bother installing a replacement flash memory chip because I don't intend to store any files on this whatsoever anyway except maybe like 1 downloaded picture of Lloyd Irving as my background.

* There is avenue for future research if I want to try creating a custom ROM or making further modifications using the droid root & tools application but for right now I have a start, a greater understanding of what's going on, and a tablet that works for the baby uses i wanted it for.

--

edit: jk lol read online and it's just the twitch app doesn't support 4.4.2 anymore and 99% thats what im actually on. maybe will look into installing newer OS on here... thats a new rabbit hole but a worthwhile one imo.

----

edit edit:

Okay, I think I might be at my limit with this particular device. I honestly don't quite know how to tell what is spoofed and what isn't because virtually nothing about this is legitimate. I'm glad I picked something so completely out of my knowledge and also that I didn't feel bad breaking open to learn, but since basically I have something that Works for what I wanted right now I think for the time being I'll leave this here. Mobile device operating systems and hardware are all so damn proprietary that whoever slapped this **** together clearly just wanted it to Sort Of Turn On, and I'm kind of pleased I got it somewhat more stable and literally just functioning as a Bigger Screen To Watch Streams On (on a quarantined network).

I installed CPU-Z on it, and this bonkers **** happened which caused me to just completely give up.

It launched, and read the 4 CPU as "2.5 MHz", which is what the ******** About claims. BUT!!! After a second, those numbers CHANGE, into ~600MHz (and only from CPU 0 and 1, 3 and 4 become "stopped").

I am interpreting this as CPU-Z first spitting out the crap it's being fed by this ******** firmware (? or is this on the OS side? I honestly don't know where that line is drawn), and then when it starts paying attention it goes "oh wait, that **** isn't right at all" and reports the real numbers that match up with what I think the chipset is.

But it doesn't catch itself on everything. It says the Android version is 9. It identifies the hardware as 6592, when the MK Droid Tools identified it as MT6582 which is far more likely. But honestly at this point I'm starting to think literally anything could be ********. I am beginning to doubt my own sanity. All over a hubris-driven quest to attempt to understand something that was clearly just shat out in an attempt to turn on long enough that some sucker wouldn't sue them.

It's me. I am the sucker. And I am enjoying it. However, I have reached a point where I am willing to throw in the towel.

This experience has given me the following:

1. A desire to, at some point, procure a legitimate Android smartphone or tablet, and apply what I have learned to root and modify it - which will be significantly easier, I hope, because the parts will be easily identifiable and documentation is very specific to particular pieces of hardware. It will be such a relief trying to modify something when I actually know what the **** it is.

2. The satisfaction of taking something apart, putting it back together, and trying to solve a problem [the problem in this case being trying to understand what in the **** is going on here]

3. A cheap tablet that plays YouTube videos and Twitch streams*

*on a 3rd party app.

And just for fun and posterity, here is a list of all of the different "specs" I've gotten from this, along with my best guess of what it actually is:
Spoiler.
10 x a53 @ 1.3 GHz architecture (lol it got 1.3 right but 10??? no. that is BS pulled from "About".)
Clock speed 598MHz - 1.3 GHz (....except when it first starts the app and briefly sees 2.5MHz lol)
GPU vendor ARM
GPU renderer Mali-400MP
Model "TS-M704A (m82kk_2g_m962l)" --- I find this one hilarious because it lists both what the device "claims" it is in its About section, as well as the actual hardware (m962) that checks out with the literal motherboard i pried this thing open and verified. So it sees both the ******** as well as the truth.
Hardware 6592 (Root Checker saw this too... but this isn't right; the most reliable guess is the chipset should be MT6582, based on what fits on the motherboard and also just based on what my computer saw when plugged in - and moreover I flashed the dang thing with a recovery file based on that and it booted.)
Screen Size 7.19 inches (lmao what?)
Screen Resolution 2560 x 1600 (this is what the About claims as well, 99% sure BS)
Screen Density 209 dpi
RAM 5972 MB (doubt) (....LOL ok checked back later and it reported 1G, that is more like it)
Internal Storage 62.65GB (doubt)
Android Version 9.0 (provably false)
Build ID ALPS.KK1.MP1.V2.46 (matches About)

etc etc anyway the most interesting parts are the mysteriously changing CPU clock speeds and the fact that it reports mostly the ******** in the tablet "About" section but there are nuggets of what checks out with the motherboard I actually saw on there.
Spoiler.
Root Checker sees most of the same **** CPU-Z does, except it sees Android version as "9.0 (KitKat)" which is the only thing so far that told me that the actual version is 4.4 - that said it says it's not rooted but I'm pretty sure it is? SuperUser is on here and Shell has SuperUser privileges. I haven't tried anything with it but... maybe Root Checker isn't sure what to look for because this entire build is BS.
Spoiler.
This is by far the most useful and believable tool, and yet even it doesn't see all....

Hardware: MT6582 (I trust this only because we literally did **** with making a backup and flashing recovery from it, and it booted into that recovery. That would not have worked if it wasn't right... plus, it checks out with the chipset that other users have reported belonging to this motherboard, and I literally saw that motherboard with my eyes.)

Model: TS-M704A (This is what the "about" says as well, and it is BS.)
Build number ALPS.KK1.MP1.V2.46 (this matches about as well as CPU-Z... it's probably what it is but I don't know what to do with this information)
Android v: 9 (known BS)
Kernel v: 3.4.67 (soft@ubuntu) - matches about, everything reports this, probably what it is but again not sure what to do w/that

Anyway the only part of this information I trust is the model # because it's a tool FOR MediaTek products so it was able to identify the chipset.
Basically a lot of conflicting information, I think the closest thing I will get to understanding what I have is it's probably a MT6582 chipset on a M962 motherboard that is pretending to be TS-M704A (which is a Sawink phablet). It's on Android 4.4 but pretending to be Android 9. Processor is probably 4x 598MHz-1.3GHz, as advertised by the chipset on manufacturer's website... have only seen 2 cores reported doing anything in CPU-Z, but that's fine, it does what it needs. Here is the chipset I very likely have: https://www.mediatek.com/products/smartphones/mt6582

Also, I installed SpecDevice as yet another source to cross-reference and realize that's why I found several zombies that appeared to sort of be the same thing as mine - other confused people with bootlegs probably put it on theirs and reported the "builds". In fact, this BS build reports exactly the same as mine: http://specdevice.com/showspec.php?id=2 ... 870033c587 - so now I know how that database works, and I know exactly how much to trust it.... about as far as I can throw this tablet, in essence.

ANYWAY. I think I know what I have, but I also know that because it doesn't really seem to correlate to a "real" supported build, there isn't really any easy way to modify it, because most of the modifications that can be done that are very well documented (like putting a later Android ver on it) are well documented for specific and supported builds. Or at least, that's my current understanding.

Going to close the book on this one for now. Welcome to insight but I believe it really comes down to "if you legitimately want to fix this you need to go learn mobile device programming" and idk if we are quite there yet.

Quarantined network video streaming device it is. :)

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:11 am

Youtube wouldn't be available in China and you'd be seeing ads for Douyin rather than TikTok, so yeah, Twitch is most likely just an Android version problem.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:45 am

Wait android 9 is pie
looking up into pure sunlight

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:49 am

I am nobody wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:11 am
Youtube wouldn't be available in China and you'd be seeing ads for Douyin rather than TikTok, so yeah, Twitch is most likely just an Android version problem.
I feel ashamed to admit this, but conspiracy brain kicked in before critical thinking caught up because I am so unaccustomed to seeing non-personalized ads. (Still decently sure TikTok is being shilled because it's really disproportionate, but I've been wrong before and also I don't really care.) But anyway yeah it's definitely an Android version issue and one I can live with as long ss this 3rd party app continues to work.

--

^ Yes. You are correct. It is Pie. Not KitKat. :p

Return to “Computer Gaming & Tech”