"Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 30712
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Has thanked: 2658 times
Been thanked: 184 times

"Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#1

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:40 am



The bias against conservatives on social media really needs to be put in check. I don't see any effect from Trump's executive order about online censorship, maybe it will just take more time to go into effect or maybe I just don't understand exactly what it does, but I'm disappointed and feel like he should do more. I think this video just skims the surface of what's really going on.

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 13882
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#2

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:37 am

They have thousands, if not tens of thousands, of content moderators. I'm sure you could find some expressing any opinion you wanted if you tried hard enough.

User avatar
Calamity Panfan
Moderator
Posts: 34975
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:00 am
Location: all posters post posts
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 695 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#3

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 am

fox news and trump stuff is consistently the most-shared stuff on facebook

if they're trying to censor conservative views, they're doing a really awful job

User avatar
Apiary Tazy
Posts: 29500
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Flipping a Switch
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 172 times
Contact:

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#4

Post by Apiary Tazy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:21 am

It's a shame that social media moderators are lazy, barely act at all beyond the automated ban machine, and have immediately reversed course in response to significant pushback, because if this person truly believes this they could just ban 80% of people from Facebook and have some people defend them saying "It not government so it okay." It can be a sign of bad times, but Facebook is probably one step above a lot of other social media websites if only barely. Sites like these are trash and are only getting worse if anything.

Shout out to that guy on Twitter who openly spread AIDS around in California that would have you banned if you tried to warn anyone about him. F**k me that I forgot the guy's name. E_shibes or something like that...

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 13882
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#5

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:35 am

Gotta be honest, I don't know what you're saying there. It's a shame that moderators don't act but then you don't want them to act?

Also can't find anything about someone spreading AIDS in California on Twitter.

User avatar
CaptHayfever
Supermod
Posts: 38512
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:00 am
Location: (n) - the place where I am
Has thanked: 800 times
Been thanked: 246 times
Contact:

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#6

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:58 am

Here's the extent to which I trust Project Veritas: I don't.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

User avatar
steeze
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 am
Location: Konoha
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#7

Post by steeze » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:17 pm

If you wear a MAGA hat then you should 100% be deleted for terrorism.

They are terrorizing the fashion industry.

All red hat with a khaki shorts, new balances, and an old navy flag shirt with white tube socks from Christmas '07

Walking down the street with the summer slob collection. Sweaty and angry lol

User avatar
smol Kat
Posts: 11833
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: a s s i m i l a t e
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#8

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:33 pm

steeze wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:17 pm
If you wear a MAGA hat then you should 100% be deleted for terrorism.

They are terrorizing the fashion industry.

All red hat with a khaki shorts, new balances, and an old navy flag shirt with white tube socks from Christmas '07

Walking down the street with the summer slob collection. Sweaty and angry lol
thank you for saying what everyone was thinking :rotfl:
looking up into pure sunlight

User avatar
Apiary Tazy
Posts: 29500
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Flipping a Switch
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 172 times
Contact:

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#9

Post by Apiary Tazy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:45 pm

Uh, I was trying to be sarcastic but then added a sincere statement at the end. Whoops. I'm not at 100% right now.

I'm saying that this statement means nothing because while they might have the overreach, social media moderators are not willing to actually act upon it. All they have is poor explanations for what they do.

I also believe these websites are in the wrong for suppressing opinions as such actions are never done for good reasons, just excuses.

The e_shibes (or shives or whatever) might not have happened in California, but I did see someone bring the guy up years back only to immediately lose their Twitter account in 24 hours. All I remember for certain is that it was an "e_sh" and he was willingly spreading his HIV while having sex with people. It's probably hard to search because he was name searching himself and removing any account of his actions.

There is also what Sony's been doing sending DMCA claims to as many people as possible to protect The Last of Us 2 from ridicule to the point that they tried to take down videos with no content owned by them. That's a far better example of poor overreach then... poor memory. >_>

User avatar
Sim Kid
Posts: 13539
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:00 am
Location: The state of Denial
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#10

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Considering the actual job of moderators on social media sites such as FaceBook are to ensure that advertisements (their source of revenue) are still seen and the stuff that generates the most attention (and thus ad revenue) continues to circulate.... I don't think you have any reason to worry, IRHP. At worst, they'll ban someone whose content doesn't generate a lot of activity and you'll hear about it because of censorship. At best? They'll do it... then get overridden if/when advertisers start threatening to cut their investment.

I mean, as mentioned by Panfan there, if they're really trying to suppress conservative views... they're not doing a good job at it. Hell, if Twitter's trying to censor Trump, they're also doing a very very poor job considering how much they let Trump and a lot of other celebrities flout the rules in the name of generating activity and responses (And thus ad revenue). They fact checked him... not censored. Fact checked. His message was not removed at all. Just given an advisory that "You should probably check this." Wow. They still preserved the message. That's an even lazier job than NOA did with Tharja's beach pinup....

Former youTube moderators flat out admitted that they hold "High rollers" or people whose videos generate a lot of views to a different standard than anyone else. Logan Paul's video showing an actual dead body didn't get any attention until advertisers started threatening Google with how this could harm their brand. And when he tazed a rat on stream, he just got sent to the time-out corner for 15 minutes when people who made educational videos on History or True Crime got banned for lesser infractions. It's just like how games bend over backwards for streamers and Whales, and the worse they do is give you a chat can or send you to the time-out corner while telling you "Don't do that".

And if Facebook DOES decide to remove most of its content because of an agenda... I mean, why don't you just take the "Baker" approach and... solve this problem with a free market solution? I dont' recall a law saying you're forbidden from making your own social media platforms. And with the "Free market", surely a superior product will prevail? Or is this admitting that there maybe should be some kind of govenrmental oversight, especially since social media and tech is routinely kowtowed to by the government to let them run rampant without being held accountable?

User avatar
Apiary Tazy
Posts: 29500
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Flipping a Switch
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 172 times
Contact:

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#11

Post by Apiary Tazy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:57 pm

I'm becoming less and less certain of a true answer as time passes. What is another social media platform that won't eventually fall into the same holes and repeat the same mistakes. Even if they don't, some group can just snatch them up and bend them into proper shape for their own whims. Is government the answer or would that eventually destroy the whole business of social media? Should we even have large social media websites or are they just a bad idea completely? Maybe we'd be better off forcing everything into small sections again and making people work for attention rather than tie themselves to a few websites where everything is aggregated. Or maybe that aggregation is the only reason some creators find success or hold people responsible with far more success.

Feel like I'm just being pretentious when I can just say "I have no easy solution, other than the fact that I'm worried about the state of it all."

User avatar
Sim Kid
Posts: 13539
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:00 am
Location: The state of Denial
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#12

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:28 pm

Because there is no easy solution? We're hardwired to want easy solutions.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 30712
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Has thanked: 2658 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#13

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:53 am

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:37 am
They have thousands, if not tens of thousands, of content moderators. I'm sure you could find some expressing any opinion you wanted if you tried hard enough.
Maybe, but so what? That's a mostly pointless statement. Regarding the topic, I certainly don't see any evidence that there's an opposite problem, do you? I'd genuinely love to see a video full of conservative leaning Facebook employees saying this kind of stuff.
Calamity Panfan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 am
fox news and trump stuff is consistently the most-shared stuff on facebook

if they're trying to censor conservative views, they're doing a really awful job
Clearly they aren't going to enact 100% censorship lmao
CaptHayfever wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:58 am
Here's the extent to which I trust Project Veritas: I don't.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
Why not? You think this it's all fake or something?
Sim Kid wrote:And if Facebook DOES decide to remove most of its content because of an agenda... I mean, why don't you just take the "Baker" approach and... solve this problem with a free market solution? I dont' recall a law saying you're forbidden from making your own social media platforms. And with the "Free market", surely a superior product will prevail? Or is this admitting that there maybe should be some kind of govenrmental oversight, especially since social media and tech is routinely kowtowed to by the government to let them run rampant without being held accountable?
For one thing, it's a little more complicated than just starting your own social media platform. Ask Gab how that goes. Liberal media smears them with lies, Visa blacklists them, etc. The free market isn't so free, unfortunately. And of course there should be government oversight; start by not letting slanderous media attack startups or by forcing necessary services to fulfill their purposes. Imagine if we let phone companies virtue signal and cut off people with wrongthink from service--common sense dictates that shouldn't be allowed. It should be the same for Facebook or Twitter.

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 13882
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#14

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am

Other companies being free to decide how to treat your startup is part of a free market, actually. I am interested to hear your argument for why all companies should be required to serve eachother when you've previously advocated for companies being able to cut off individuals for the wrong beliefs of lifestyle.

Considering Facebook is getting backlash primarily for *not* taking things down, I don't see any evidence of them moderating much of anything at all.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 30712
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Has thanked: 2658 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#15

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:09 am

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am
Other companies being free to decide how to treat your startup is part of a free market, actually. I am interested to hear your argument for why all companies should be required to serve eachother when you've previously advocated for companies being able to cut off individuals for the wrong beliefs of lifestyle.

Considering Facebook is getting backlash primarily for *not* taking things down, I don't see any evidence of them moderating much of anything at all.
Then by that logic it'd also be part of the free market for a bank to decide they don't like something you said on Twitter and not provide that business loan you need. Should a hospital be allowed to send Alex Jones back out into the street if he's hit by a car? Even racism could be part of the free market. If political discrimination is allowable, why not racial?

I don't think all companies should be required to serve everyone. However, things which fall under the umbrella of necessity should. On a personal level, if someone refuses to bake your cake then you can easily go elsewhere. However, there's practically an Internet monopoly so if the handful of providers decided not to serve you then that's obviously a problem we can't allow.

As for companies, how many places can a company like Gab turn to for their requirements? I really don't know. Maybe Visa not serving them isn't as big a deal as they make it out to be, but they're supposedly forced to turn to donations or something from what I heard. That doesn't sound like a free market to me, monopolies turning small companies to street begging. A little common sense and sense of fairness goes a long way.

Also, is the video not evidence...or...?

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 13882
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#16

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 am

So presumably you're just as upset about Trump removing ACA protections guaranteeing transgender people medical care and we'll be getting a thread about that soon? That sounds a lot more essential than Visa.

The video is at best evidence that one of Facebooks tens of thousands of moderators isn't doing their job correctly. There's clearly no broader effort at the company to take down conservative content because, again, Facebook barely removes anything.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 30712
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Has thanked: 2658 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#17

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:41 am

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 am
So presumably you're just as upset about Trump removing ACA protections guaranteeing transgender people medical care and we'll be getting a thread about that soon? That sounds a lot more essential than Visa.

The video is at best evidence that one of Facebooks tens of thousands of moderators isn't doing their job correctly. There's clearly no broader effort at the company to take down conservative content because, again, Facebook barely removes anything.
What is defined as "medical care" in that case? That's pretty vague, even murder counts according to some people, so who knows.

What do you mean one moderator?
The video featured Project Veritas investigators speaking in hidden-camera footage to about a dozen content moderators, most of whom were identified by name. The Washington Times has not confirmed their identities independently.

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 13882
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#18

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:50 am

The thread and video titles use "moderator", so presumably that's the one you're upset about.

The medical rule is about providers in general, not specific types of care. Surely seeing a physician or even a dentist is a lot more essential than Facebook.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 30712
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Has thanked: 2658 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#19

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:05 am

The actual contents of the video shows and alludes to others who are openly biased. They're all very open and comfortable about it, speaking volumes about the work environment's political climate.

I don't really understand that medical-related situation then. Of course all people should be allowed access to medical care...seems like I'm not getting the whole story about that, I highly doubt anyone is trying to stop transgenders from getting a tooth pulled but maybe so.

User avatar
smol Kat
Posts: 11833
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: a s s i m i l a t e
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: "Facebook Content Moderator: 'If Someone’s Wearing MAGA Hat, I'm Going to Delete Them for Terrorism'"

#20

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:41 am

Please don't use transgender as a noun. It's an adjective. Thank you.

I recommend looking up the executive order re: protections and ACA that was passed a couple weeks ago. While I suspect you would support the logic of this order, please consider the impact.
looking up into pure sunlight

Post Reply

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”