Favorite LGBT video game characters?

Moderator: X-3

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Favorite LGBT video game characters?

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat May 09, 2020 11:56 am

VGA seemed to be interested in this topic, so I think it's a good one. Better than more "Nintendo going 3rd party" stuff at least.

So, let's share a few of our favorites, and why they are good.

#1: Vamp (Metal Gear Solid 2)

I like Vamp for lots of reasons. Mostly though, he's genuinely intimidating. A fat guy on skates, an old man with a gun, and a guy who shoots bees? Yeah, maybe it's just because his competition isn't setting the bar too high in many cases, but he's one of the best bosses in the series from many perspectives; the mechanics of his battle are fun, and seeing him do crazy **** like running across water really poses him as an unpredictable threat. Easy #1.

#2: Quina (Final Fantasy IX)

I initially disliked this character. I tend to hate unusual characters and bizarre looking designs, and here we got both. However, while Quina isn't my favorite character in the game, I think its spot is well deserved and plays a significant supporting role in the team. It certainly did a lot more than that little kid or the blue assassin guy, resulting in becoming a more memorable character (blue mages are boring trash from a gameplay perspective though).

#3: Flea (Chrono Trigger)

Flea isn't as prominent in his game as the others I've listed, but it's a Toriyama design so automatic points for that. Also, I find his sole scene really funny. He's much more interesting than his leader, Ozzie, and I'd like to see the character fleshed out if we ever get a remake.

Honorable mentions to Capcom's Poison and Eagle, the former being more interesting for the historical context and evolution of the character, and Eagle for just seeming like he'd be fun to play as in a modern Street Fighter game.

Who are your favorites?

I am nobody

Re: Favorite LGBT video game characters?

Post by I am nobody » Sat May 09, 2020 12:40 pm

Not gonna rank them because characters are one of the only things I don't do that with, but some that come to mind:

- Kanji Tatsumi (Persona 4)
- Parvati Holcomb (The Outer Worlds)
- Ellie (The Last of Us)
- Gregg and Angus (Night in the Woods)
- Jill Stingray (VA-11 HALL-A)
- Chloe and Max (Life is Strange)

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat May 09, 2020 6:03 pm

NiGHTS, Frisk Undertale, Vivian, and apparently Isabelle.

That's about all I can think of. I certainly know of more, but having not played the games they're from or otherwise not being exposed to them, I can't really call them favorites.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat May 09, 2020 6:16 pm

My girl Vivian from The Thousand-Year Door.

Also, Hairdresser Octopus from PaRappa the Rapper 2 had a good song.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat May 09, 2020 6:29 pm

the plus side to the queer coded villains trope is we get sexy gay villains like mithos yggdrasill

hes great bc hes sparkly and i love him the end

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat May 09, 2020 8:37 pm

Apollo the Just wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:29 pm
the plus side to the queer coded villains trope is we get sexy gay villains like mithos yggdrasill

hes great bc hes sparkly and i love him the end
damn right
looking up into pure sunlight

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun May 10, 2020 4:03 am

I am nobody wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:40 pm
Not gonna rank them because characters are one of the only things I don't do that with, but some that come to mind:

- Kanji Tatsumi (Persona 4)
- Parvati Holcomb (The Outer Worlds)
- Ellie (The Last of Us)
- Gregg and Angus (Night in the Woods)
- Jill Stingray (VA-11 HALL-A)
- Chloe and Max (Life is Strange)
I had thought about including Kanji too but I wasn't sure. It's easy to just say he's gay looking at his dungeon, but it may not be completely accurate. A lot of his behavior and interests are what he considers feminine, and he seems to feel conflicted about that so he overcompensates with excessive masculinity to hide those parts of himself. I think there was something about his dead dad too, telling him to be manly or whatever so it contributed to his complex. If I recall, he was also relieved that Naoto was a girl, and was interested in her after it was revealed she was female.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun May 10, 2020 4:36 am

im not about to start kanji and naoto discourse here because kanji and naoto discourse is historically awful on the internet, and atlus kind of wrote them **** anyway, but both characters are introduced in ways that are clearly intended to be interpreted as gay and trans respectively before the game backtracks on it completely and says actually it's about gender roles because gay and trans people don't exist in japan

edit: well i realize posting this is inevitably going to start kanji and naoto discourse. sigh

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun May 10, 2020 7:15 am

Not going to derail the thread to get into that, but re: that discourse, it's important to remember that P4 and 5 are very much about Japan's problems as seen from Japan, and that as a society Japan is still in a place where "maybe women are as capable as men" is kind of a bold stance. There was just a scandal last year where a major medical university was systematically reducing women's test scores so that fewer of them could be doctors. Being female likely was a hard disqualification from being a detective in most of the country 12 years ago, and it would've been a huge handicap everywhere else. They come back to this problem with a few characters in each of the games. I don't think it's so much "because trans people don't exist in Japan" as it is that they're so far behind the rest of the developed world (bar South Korea) on women's rights that the discussion on LGB(and especially)T rights has barely started.

That said, I'm not going to try and take Naoto away from anyone who wants trans representation. There's plenty to support that reading even if I don't think it's what they intended.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun May 10, 2020 8:02 am

I guess I shouldn't be surprised there's a history of heated discussion of the characters on the Internet. I don't remember much about Naoto except that the characters (or maybe just Kanji?) thought she was male. I haven't played P4G since it came out, I'd like to refresh my memory by playing through again but it's pretty long as I recall, even by JRPG standards.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun May 10, 2020 8:58 am

P4G on NG+ is around 30-40 hours if you're like me and don't skip the dialog and do pretty much everything. That's based on having done it three or four times. A regular playthrough is more like 60-70. As for the characters:

Loads of P4 spoilers, obviously:
Spoiler.
I'm using the pronouns the game uses for Naoto at each point in the story: i.e. male until the shadow fight.

Naoto is introduced as "The Detective Prince" rather early in the game (around May, I think) and is a big-city detective brought in to help the Inaba police solve the murders. At this point in the game, Naoto is *always* referred to as male and no character questions that at any point. Kanji is attracted to him in a way that is not subtle, but also never stated. Naoto's role at this point is to basically back up Dojima in warning the group off their investigation, particularly with regard to Rise in June.

This setup continue pretty much unaltered until October, when the group discovers that Naoto is the next target. His dungeon is a Secret Lab that culminates in a surgical room where Naoto's shadow is planning to perform an operation to make her male, because she wants to be a detective and the police would never accept her as a woman. After finishing the dungeon, Naoto joins the group and begins using female pronouns, but continues dressing in the male uniform for the entire game other than an optional scene near the end that may occur if doing her romance route.

There's also a scene during the beauty/cross-dressing contest in which Naoto is clearly uncomfortable being seen in obviously female clothing. That isn't addressed directly at any other point, but is obvious other than when alone with the protagonist in the romance route or with optional costumes that clearly aren't part of the story.

Her social link doesn't really address any of that and is mostly about forming her own identity as a detective. The scene mentioned above is the exception to that, which reinforces Naoto as either male or female depending on what you choose, although I don't think (?) her pronouns change back to male regardless.

There may be some additional relevant scenes in the extra two months of Golden, but I haven't seen those for Naoto and can't say if they add any context.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun May 10, 2020 12:33 pm

As for Kanji:
Spoiler.
His social link is mostly about coming to terms with his feminine hobbies without relying on being tough, but he's unambiguously attracted to male characters at multiple points in the story and to Naoto both before and after she starts using female pronouns. He never admits it, but Yosuke is always present in those scenes and is an a**hole about it, so that's not exactly surprising.

I honestly can't see a way to read his character as anything but bi, and nothing I've read from the creators contradicts that. Maybe there's some interview I haven't seen somewhere that has a convoluted alternative explanation, but barring hat it seems straightfoward that he's meant to be read that way, particularly with some extra scenes in P4G.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun May 10, 2020 1:28 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:33 pm
As for Kanji:
Spoiler.
His social link is mostly about coming to terms with his feminine hobbies without relying on being tough, but he's unambiguously attracted to male characters at multiple points in the story and to Naoto both before and after she starts using female pronouns. He never admits it, but Yosuke is always present in those scenes and is an a**hole about it, so that's not exactly surprising.

I honestly can't see a way to read his character as anything but bi, and nothing I've read from the creators contradicts that. Maybe there's some interview I haven't seen somewhere that has a convoluted alternative explanation, but barring hat it seems straightfoward that he's meant to be read that way, particularly with some extra scenes in P4G.
Who were the ones aside from Naoto?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun May 10, 2020 1:36 pm

Spoiler.
There's a scene with protag and Yosuke over the summer, and IIRC there's some minor stuff with NPCs in a couple places.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 am

I don't care if she's not an option for same-sex marriage in the game; Shamir from Fire Emblem: Three Houses is LGBT, and she and Catherine are OTP.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”