OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Moderators: Bomby, Apollo the Just

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Man. I really like James Horner's music. Like, he wasn't always attached to movies I'm a huge fan of, but his scores were always pretty rad, man. I probably wouldn't like 'Field of Dreams' anywhere near as much if it'd been loaded with John Williams-style bombast or Basil Pouledouris choirs wailing away (although it'd be hugely entertaining to see a cut of the movie with "Riders of Doom" or "Imperial March" playing over the emotional moments) (maybe have "The Ecstasy of Gold" play over the scene where Shoeless Joe first appears out of the cornfield).
boo---------------that ole yaller-eye fork-tongue conspirator

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:31 pm

^ I never finished the final dungeon, my PS2 broke. It was just additional content but I was really into it. Maybe I'll go back to it eventually as well.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:22 am

So I'm watching this 'Best of Jabooody Dubs Willy Wonka' video on Youtube, and I realise that Willy Wonka's boat doesn't actually have room for all five families. Only four benches, Wonka's seat, and then room for the Oompa helmsman and waterwheel-turners. Then, later on, Wonka's dumb soda-powered car only has seating for five-----Wonka and two families.

Was Wonka planning to kill people all along, or did he just figure his factory was so insanely dangerous that he'd be constantly losing people along the way? Is a Wonka factory tour basically like a playthrough of 'Oregon Trail', where you're about guaranteed to lose most of your party by endgame?

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 am

wonka definitely planned to kill at least one child before that boat ride

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 am

That's such a weird yet boring movie, I never could get far into it but that sounds pretty cool.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:33 am

I mean, was the factory specifically designed to weed out sociopaths, morons and troglodytes? Presumably if Charlie and his grandpa had got chopped into coleslaw by the fan in the fizzy lifting drinks room, Wonka would have waited a couple years and then launched a second golden ticket contest, a third, a fourth, etc, until he finally got someone worthwhile.

Don't mistake me-------I'm glad Charlie won. I like him a lot. I just wonder why Willy Wonka never thought of starting a family. I mean, he's an eligible bachelor with a chocolate empire, a huge scary factory and a race of little people serving at his beck and call. There have to be some gals that that would appeal to. It just seems so much easier than the whole golden ticket deal. (Although, come to that, the golden ticket scam murder contest probably boosted sales a trillion percent. Far more than quietly getting married and having kids would have.)

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:27 pm

Wonka was definitely expecting a bunch of the kids to fail his tests. It's actually a bit less scary in the book, because Charlie sees all of the other kids leave the factory alive at the end, rather than just having to take Wonka's word for it.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:06 pm
Man. I really like James Horner's music. Like, he wasn't always attached to movies I'm a huge fan of, but his scores were always pretty rad, man. I probably wouldn't like 'Field of Dreams' anywhere near as much if it'd been loaded with John Williams-style bombast or Basil Pouledouris choirs wailing away (although it'd be hugely entertaining to see a cut of the movie with "Riders of Doom" or "Imperial March" playing over the emotional moments) (maybe have "The Ecstasy of Gold" play over the scene where Shoeless Joe first appears out of the cornfield).
I love Horner's score to WIllow and Aliens.

John Williams is going to retire from Star Wars after IX, and I'm wondering if they're going to use John Powell. I've been a huge fan of Powell since he did the Bourne movies way back when. I was surprised when I first heard he was going to do the Solo movie. BUT WOW. Powell's score to the Solo movie is FANTASTIC. I feel bad for Williams but I just have to say - he's not as good as he was years before. His music has become less and less dynamic. His scores for Force Awakens and Last Jedi were just average IMO. I'm hoping Powell's involvement in Solo means they're prepping him to take on Williams' legacy.

In other news, I was sorely disappointed by Alan Silvestri's score to Avengers: Infinity War. That score was so boring. You'd think that big of a blockbuster would have a more exciting score. Something about it is utterly. . .generic.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:22 pm

^Hmmmm! I didn't know Horner did 'Willow'---------just assumed that was John Williams, too, because it was Lucasfilm. (Suppose it should have been obvious, in retrospect---------the score has a real vague Irish-folk bent to it. Woodwind/string-heavy, lilting. A little melancholy. Kind of Horner's steez, in general.)

I love 'Willow'. Really good flick. I still have some of the old trading cards clattering about somewhere (Madmartigan, General Kael and Airk Thaughbaer). Mom clipped them out of Ziploc packages for me once upon a time, bless her heart.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Man. I got a chance to see 'Labyrinth' on the big screen today, and I took it. (Cross that one off the list, yeah.) I'd forgot how good it is.

I also forgot how beautiful David Bowie is in it. He is striking, man.

Return to “Movies, Television, and Animation”