10.) I-Block (Tetris 99)
9.) Gliscor (PKMN Platinum)
8.) Medicine V3 (Shanghai.exe)
7.) Claymore Prototype (Katana Zero)
6.) Drain Life (WoW)
5.) Holy Moonlight Sword (Bloodborne)
4.) Charge Shot (Smash Ultimate)
3.) Shotgun (RE2 Remake)
2.) Riga Storaema Riga Storaema Riga Storaema Riga Storaema Riga Storaema Riga Storaema (Bloodstained)
1.) King Cerberus (DMCV)

smol Kat

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:22 pm

Well, it's again unordered but eh

Top More-than-10 Tabletop Games I First Played in 2019 (plus an expansion)
  • Wingspan: yes of course I'm listing the dang birb game. Tableau builder with a little bit of dice drafting, but the best part is that all the cards have Actual Birb Facts (tm). A nice medium-weight game that plays really well at pretty much any player count. oh also there's an expansion out now and it's P U R P L E. <33 Bought this game as a gift at PAX, taught the game, got my butt kicked. So it goes :P
  • Crusaders: So the first time I played this I actually played it completely wrong. Whooooooooooops. So anyway I'm usually pretty uneasy about area control, but this game does it really well imo. The action mechanic is also really interesting in that you have a set number of actions but you distribute them along a roundel (this was the part I did wrong my first game).
  • Namiji: If any of y'all have played Tokaido, this is basically the same game but you're fishing and the board is circular rather than a straight line; you can either go clockwise or counterclockwise. Super pretty game.
  • Quacks of Quedlinburg: This is a press-your-luck game where you essentially are building your own deck. I like this game a lot. Ended up teaching it at EuroQuest and received a copy for free! :3
  • Azul: Summer Pavilion: While Stained Glass is still my favorite, this version of Azul is pretty fun too.
  • Colors of Paris: An art-themed worker placement game where different actions are blocked off every round. The object is to collect certain colors of paint and then turn them in to make paintings. Another aesthetically pleasing game!
  • Tapestry: In this game you're essentially building your own civilization, different aspects of which you're "leveling up" on different tracks. A little on the longer side, but if you have a table that knows what they're doing, it doesn't feel all that long tbh.
  • Grimm Masquerade: A hidden identity game where everyone is a Grimm character! The basic mechanic revolves around collecting artifacts; each character has artifacts they favor (collecting enough wins the game) and artifacts that are their "bane" (collecting enough outs your character). A nice little filler game.
  • Terror Below: This game is so ridiculous, haha. Basically you're collecting and delivering monster eggs and trying not to get beat up. You're going to get beat up. It is going to be hilarious. Sometimes you can beat the monsters up. Good luck with that.
  • Lockup: A worker placement game that takes place in the Roll Player universe, you play a squad of minions that's in jail! You sneak around the prison grounds hiring goons, getting resources, and gaining reputation, all while trying not to attract the suspicion of the guards. Also, you can kind of screw each other over but not too badly. Was supposed to teach this at mag this year, but that fell through for some reason.
  • Ultimate Werewolf Legacy: Would this be a Kat list if it didn't include this game?? The instant my friend mentioned she got this game I was like IM IN. It's really cool! You start in the colonial era and you get a character, which may or may not gain powers along the way, then you play a few rounds of werewolf. It goes pretty quickly--in fact we have our last session coming up pretty soon (there are 5). Like most legacy games, the gameplay changes based on what alignment wins.
  • Vast: Crystal Caverns: The superior Vast, sorry not sorry. I played as the cave at PAX and it was pretty cool! ....Even if the tiles I needed to win the game were all at the bottom of literally all of my piles. Unlike Mysterious Manor, this one felt pretty balanced in spite of the fact that I got unlucky.
  • Silver Amulet/Silver Bullet: The first couple in what I understand is going to be a short series of decks, this takes place in the Ultimate Werewolf universe but is max 4 players. Everyone is dealt a face-down village, some cards let you look at your (or other players') cards, and you're trying to end the round with the fewest points (different cards have different powers and also different point values; more powerful cards are more points, i.e., you want to get rid of them). Another good filler game and there's also a single-player app for Android (and maybe iPhone?? not sure). Although I think it just has Amulet.
  • Homebrewers: Again, this is pretty on-brand for me; this is a game about crafting beer. Each player rolls dice that determines their actions, then you make beer with cards and score points. Pretty straightforward. Also, where else are you gonna see a kimchi lime ale or a coconut almond stout? Like let's be real here.
  • And an expansion, Root/Riverfolk expansion: Even though I first played Root in 2018 when it came out I didn't play the Riverfolk expansion until New Year's Eve 2019. Per advice I had received months ago, I played as the otters. They're really cool, they run a shop and can set the prices and stuff! I lost, though, because a) corvid terrorists are mean and b) one of the vagabonds kept attacking me for some reason...? And then my poor otter babies were traumatized so I jacked up my prices so that if people wanted to use me in battle they'd have to REALLY REALLY want to lmao. Still want to play as the lizard cult, but otters own :3
looking up into pure sunlight

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:04 pm

I've finished everything I started in 2018 that seems like a contender, so guess it's time to admit I can't play everything and do this. Judgement is the only thing I'd really expect to make it that I haven't gotten to.

Top Ten Games of 2019:
10. Yuppie Psycho: The corporate Silent Hill we never knew we needed. Proof that survival horror can still work, and that it doesn't need gore or jumpscares to do it.
9. A Plague Tale: Innoncence: Easily the surprise of the year. It's never quite sure of what it is, but it tells a strong story and its weird genre switches almost all work. With more time and money, the inevitable sequel could really be something special.
8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order: Star Wars by way of Dark Souls and Uncharted works pretty well, turns out. A great return to form for SW games.
7. Total War: Three Kingdoms: A game I thought about as much as I actually played it, and one of the most engaging grand strategies this side of Europa Universalis.
6. Mutazione: At once one of the most mundane and strangest games of the year, it works so well because it doesn't let expectations or reality tie down any part of the story it wants to tell.
5. Chinese Parents: Unrealistic academic expectations are so much more fun when it's all about clicking colors!
4. Slay the Spire: By far the game I played the most on this list, and a high water mark for roguelites. Nothing before or since has had this level of replayability or variety.
3. missed messages.: A free game that lasts twenty minutes, with an important message. It's more emotionally effective than most games are in twenty hours, and you should go play it.
2. Disco Elyisum: Brilliant writing in an amazing world with some of the best roleplaying games have yet seen. It'd be #1 hands down if not for dice, but alas, I hate dice.
1. AI: The Somnium Files: Despite ending Uchikoshi's streak of repeatedly making my new favorite game ever, it's still my favorite for the year. A tonal rollercoaster that absolutely should not work, AI nonetheless almost always lands what it's trying to do, and the credits sequence is to die for.

Honorable mention to A Hat in Time's Nyakuza Metro DLC, which was good enough to make the list except that DLCs don't count.

OST of the year: Astral Chain - The game itself is decidedly alright, but its OST is top-notch all the way through.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:01 am

I left off Disappointment of the Year because I couldn't think of anything, but then I remembered...

Disappointment of the Year: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III: I adored the first two games despite some odd issues here and there that suggested someone on the writing staff was more interested in making a harem than telling a story. Falcom apparently fired everyone but that guy for the third one, because the game can scarcely go two seconds without reminding you that everyone wants Rean. It's so pervasive that it defeats the ability of the story to do much else, and that's even before you consider that it's also wildly inappropriate given that Rean is a teacher now. Add in one of the most egregious "haha groping is funny when girlz do it rite" scenes I've ever seen and you've got a game that is, at best, embarrassing. I've been told it only gets worse after the first chapter, but that's all I saw.

To stop this from being all negative, I will also copy Kat and do the top ten board games I played in 2019, also unordered:

Wingspan: What Kat said. It's got birds, it's super easy to teach, and the mechanics are actually really clever and deep despite that.
Suburbia: A city building game that gets you to make surprisingly realistic cities through interesting adjacency bonuses instead of complicated rules. It's really easy to trap yourself in a death spiral, but it's also super satisfying when it all comes together.
Nippon: Not an easy game to teach, but it makes up for it with great economic simulation and a unique scoring system that makes you diversify.
Flipships: You flip ships and kill the space invaders. A dumb concept that I love so much.
Aeon's End: Everyone else played this years ago. They were right about it.
Gugong: I don't think any of us playing really understood this game until halfway through. It has a lot going on and a whole host of ways to get stuck, but there's a cool puzzle underneath once you come to grips with it.
Roam: Super easy to teach and set up area control game that's also amazing at producing close results.
One Word Ultimate Werewolf: How could I not.
Villagers: Engine building, but really supply chain building. It captures the feel of village building video games without getting bogged down in simulation rules at all.
Root: The Riverfolk Expansion: I also haven't played Lizards yet, but as someone who loves Recettear, there could hardly be a more perfect faction for me than a bunch of otters that just want to get rich. Capitalism, ho!

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:05 am

^was about to say HOW COULD I FORGET WEREWORDS, then remembered I played that in 2018. That said, game is super fun.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:10 am

scimitar though

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:18 am

Never forget

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:20 pm

My top 10 games:

10. Pathway
9. Kingdom Hearts 3
8. Wargroove
7. Mario Maker 2
6. Untitled Goose GAme
5. Jedi: Fallen Order
4. Ring Fit Adventure
3. Borderlands 3
2. The Outer Worlds
1. Fire Emblem Three Houses

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:06 pm

So this list is going to be a little different. I'm doing a whole decade as opposed to just last year (even though, let's be frank, I traveled WAY too damn much last year). Without further ado,

Top Not-Quite-Ten Places I Visited in the 2010s
  1. Chicago, IL (2013 and 2019): Of COURSE Chicago is top here! Not only did I get to go TWICE, but both times were for VGF meetups <3 Honestly, though, for as much fun as I had doing the touristy things, the real reward was simply hanging out with my friends. Love y'all!
  2. Philadelphia, PA (2019): Well, okay, Squeege has family in a suburb of Philly so I used to go to that area a lot, but I'm specifically calling out PAX Unplugged here because I'd been wanting to go since they started doing it and finally got the opportunity. Made some new friends and gamed with old ones (including @ScottyMcGee and @I am nobody)! The only thing that would have made the trip better is a giant cross-group game of werewolf, but maybe this year!
  3. National Harbor (yearly since 2016): While we're talking conventions, MAGFEST MAGFEST. I have an amazing time every year. I've said this before but there's something for everyone to do at basically all hours of the day. This year I spent a lot of time at tabletop and concerts. THE CONCERTS AAAAAA~.
  4. Portland/Eugene, OR (2012): I had the opportunity to visit a friend out there, and it was my first (and thus far, only) time back since my parents moved us from Eugene to Athens when I was 7. While this person is no longer in my life (good riddance imo), I'm so grateful I got to see my hometown again, as well as see the sites in Portland (and also eat Voodoo Doughnuts). I'd love to go back one day.
  5. Nashville, TN (2019): Before driving to Nashville a week after my breakup, I had been to Gatlinburg and Chattanooga on band trips; both were a lot of fun. It was a pretty serious trek but super rewarding because I just honestly felt so free. Other than hanging with @Marilink and meeting his family, I got to go to the Nashville Zoo and hit up a couple breweries, which was also very nice. Board game night when
  6. Richmond, VA (2017): Couple years ago I decided working retail full time would be an excellent idea. Spoiler alert: it wasn't. After developing a pretty nasty case of plantar fasciitis and going on medical leave, Squeege mentioned to me that he was going to a Magic event down in Richmond. I wasn't doing anything else, so I tagged along and did a couple side events but mostly just explored the city (to the extent that I could with my feet in horrible pain, anyway). Even though all was pain, I had a really good time. Even played EDH at a brewery with people that weren't even Squeege, haha!
  7. Cleveland, OH (2015 and 2019): Hey you reading this. I hear you laughing. Well I'll have you know that I went to Cleveland to visit @Deepfake, SO THERE! Anyway, found out about the 2015 meetup at kind of the last minute but was lucky enough to be able to go, see all you guys again, and hit up Cedar Point (heckin migraine tho) as well as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Still have my free reusable bag, haha. And then also I got to go back last month, hang out with AI again but also @United Nations and @Cravdraa :)
  8. Orlando, FL (2011): Ex of mine took a vacation with his family that summer, and I met them en route so we could travel to Orlando. The main reason this is on here is because I got to go to Universal; this was after they added all the Harry Potter stuff but before they revamped it. Haven't been back since. One day!
...did I seriously take four road trips last year, holy crap

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Yeah, definitely disappointed that we didn't get to do a big werewolf game. I think most (all?) of my game group is at least planning to go again, so we'll have another shot at it.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Excellent. :D Most of my group goes every year, and most of them would totally play too.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”