Coronavirus/COVID-19

Moderator: Deku Tree

steeze

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19

Post by steeze » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:17 am

There's a new meaning to the phrase gaslighting.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:29 am

I sacrifice Grandma and Grandpa to summon the Rockefeller the Capitalist Knight! His effect makes my Winged Dragon of Economy unable to be destroyed for one turn.
Spoiler.
But I still take the battle damage.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:25 pm

My mom says things will slowly go back to normal after another week.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:36 pm

^doubt it
looking up into pure sunlight

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:42 pm

Most school campuses are officially closed through the end of the semester. It'll be late May at the soonest before we even start getting everything going again, & that's only if people take this seriously & stop screwing around.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:43 pm

optimism simulator doing wonders.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:50 pm

Your mom must have some great insight to be so sure.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:41 pm

Only a week?

Damn dude. I can't tell if that's optimistic or delusional. The curve has only just begun to flatten in China... and that's a totalitarian government response where people took it seriously. And it took months.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm

tbh I don't know how much I trust Beijing's claim of no new domestic cases.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:56 pm

If we've come this far, we may as well keep going because otherwise we'll have to start the same thing all over again if we have to re-quarantine, but it becomes a question of tolerance. I could live like this until the end of next year if I really didn't have a choice. I don't suspect most people could nor would want to last nearly that long before saying screw it. Many small businesses will barely survive 18 days, let alone 18 weeks or months.
Competition is a good thing. It's a chance to crush people.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:55 pm

US Logic in a nutshell

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:56 am

i don't know why i check facebook anymore but i dont think the people there posting "If you got really sick for two weeks with a cough in November you probably had the Coronavirus and you survived so let's have sports again!!" realize that if what they said was true then a virus that would later be named a pandemic hit the U.S. a full month before China's earliest cases, doctors and researchers failed to recognize it or develop a test for it, let foreign governments do all the work in that important medical research while their hospitals became overwhelmed and thousands died, and then finally started taking preventative action five moths after those first cases hit

and then assuming all of that is true, that just as doctors actually know what it is and hospitals are getting hit harder by it we should start gathering by the thousands again so we can watch basketball

we live in a damn society. i need to log off before i become the joker

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:19 am

^ I think that's why there was some media pushback against Joker lol

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 am

My grandma is showing all symptoms except the fever. The hospital won’t take her where she is without a fever. The drive thru tests are all depleted. She asked my dad to draft her will. She’s really worried about it because she has our tribe’s head rights and the only way to pass them is through a will. She works at Walmart and her boss made her be on cleaning duty. In a weird way, I hope it’s just the chemicals that got to her and not the virus.

I can tell I’m still processing this news. It hit me hard. I wouldn’t even be able to say goodbye or go to her funeral because she’s in another state.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 am

From what i've read the fever is the #1 symptom for the virus. She might just have the flu or something. Don't panic before she starts getting a fever. Having aches and being short of breath comes with the territory of being a senior citizen. What's left after that besides a little cough. I'd assure her that the statistical probability of her having it is very low without a fever.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 am

That's really scary UN. I hope it's anything but Covid and she pulls through all right.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 pm

The Senate passed a major stimulus bill last night. It's expected to make its way through the House of Representatives and to the White House for signing in short order. Here's a FAQ regarding the parts of the bill (direct payments, unemployment benefits) most likely to directly affect the average citizen.
Stimulus Payments
How large would the payments be?

Most adults would get $1,200, although some would get less. For every qualifying child age 16 or under, the payment would be an additional $500.

How many payments would there be?
Just one. Future bills could order up additional payments, though.

How do I know if I will get the full amount?
It depends on your income. Single adults with Social Security numbers who are United States residents and have an adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less would get the full amount. Married couples with no children earning $150,000 or less would receive a total of $2,400. And taxpayers filing as head of household would get the full payment if they earned $112,500 or less.

Above those income figures, the payment decreases until it stops altogether for single people earning $99,000 or married people who have no children and earn $198,000. According to the Senate Finance Committee, a family with two children would no longer be eligible for any payments if its income surpassed $218,000.

You can’t get a payment if someone claims you as a dependent, even if you’re an adult. In any given family and in most instances, everyone must have a valid Social Security number in order to be eligible. There is an exception for members of the military.

Would I have to apply to receive a payment?

No. If the Internal Revenue Service already has your bank account information, it would transfer the money to you via direct deposit based on the recent income-tax figures it already has.

When would the payment arrive?
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said he expected most people to get their payments within three weeks.

Unemployment Benefits
Who would be covered by the expanded program?

The new bill would wrap in far more workers than are usually eligible for unemployment benefits, including self-employed people and part-time workers. The bottom-line: Those who are unemployed, are partly unemployed or cannot work for a wide variety of coronavirus-related reasons would be more likely to receive benefits.

How much would I receive?
It depends on your state.

Benefits would be expanded in a bid to replace the average worker’s paycheck, explained Andrew Stettner, a senior fellow at the Century Foundation, a public policy research group. The average worker earns about $1,000 a week, and unemployment benefits often replace roughly 40 to 45 percent of that. The expansion would pay an extra amount to fill the gap.

Under the plan, eligible workers would get an extra $600 per week on top of their state benefit. But some states are more generous than others. According to the Century Foundation, the maximum weekly benefit in Alabama is $275, but it’s $450 in California and $713 in New Jersey.

So let’s say a worker was making $1,100 per week in New York; she’d be eligible for the maximum state unemployment benefit of $504 per week. Under the new program, she gets an additional $600 of federal pandemic unemployment compensation, for a total of $1,104, essentially replacing her original paycheck.

States have the option of providing the entire amount in one payment, or sending the extra portion separately. But it must all be done on the same weekly basis.

Are gig workers, freelancers and independent contractors covered in the bill?

Yes, self-employed people would be newly eligible for unemployment benefits.

Whom would the bill leave out?

Workers who are able to work from home, and those receiving paid sick leave or paid family leave would not be covered. New entrants to the work force who cannot find jobs would also be ineligible.

How long would the payments last?
Many states already provide 26 weeks of benefits, though some states have trimmed that back while others provide a sliding scale tied to unemployment levels.

The bill would provide all eligible workers with an additional 13 weeks. So participants in states with 26 weeks would be eligible for a total of 39 weeks. The total amount cannot exceed 39 weeks, but it may be shorter in certain states.

The extra $600 payment would last for up to four months, covering weeks of unemployment ending July 31.

How long would the broader program last?
Expanded coverage would be available to workers who were newly eligible for unemployment benefits for weeks starting on Jan. 27, 2020, and through Dec. 31, 2020.
There's more in there covering student loans, retirement accounts, charitable donations, and others.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Seems more like a one-time relief.

This totally covers my bills for the month!
...not.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 pm

^It's a whole extra month's pay for me; that'll get us out of a pickle.
If the Internal Revenue Service already has your bank account information, it would transfer the money to you via direct deposit based on the recent income-tax figures it already has.
And what if they don't have that information?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 pm

^ I believe they send a check, and the checks are gonna come a lot later.

Return to “Current Events”