Coronavirus/COVID-19

Moderator: Deku Tree

Random User

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19

Post by Random User » Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am

Living in upstate New York during all of this has been interesting. Everyone up here seems to believe that it isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, even though our state is leading in cases and deaths. I think they are convincing themselves of something they want to believe, but it's a little scary that people won't take it seriously until its at our doorstep. I've have to work nearly every day since the virus started thanks to corporate laying off employees and even some of the stores in our region having entire crews under quarantine, so I feel like no matter what I do, I'm just waiting to get it from some idiot that thinks the whole thing is a hoax.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu May 28, 2020 12:16 pm

It's not just that.

I live in Colorado. Several of our counties are getting hit HARD with this, and they decided to reopen because something something "Economic suicides" (which strangely they never spoke about before...)

...Then boom. Case spikes. But that's alright, deaths are going down because we changed the definition so that if someone dies of anything that isn't pneumonia, it's not Covid.
...sure even if they had Covid that may have perhaps aggravated their immune system and made them more susceptible to said stroke, nope. Stroke. It's not even Covid related.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 pm

steeze wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:33 am
No self-awareness would be me, day after day trying to downplay my infatuation with the GOP, which I'm not. I'm a registered independent. Evenly split down the middle on most of their talking points. Between the welfare, guns, taxes, spending, and healthcare policies where I lean red and the abortion, immigration, environment, and energy where I dip into the blue. That's an even split I'd say. My stance has always been clear.

I guess these days if you don't support the trump train you must be a screaming lib. The death of logic.

I said when you attack organizations and then expect them to be your best pals you deserve it. Just like if you stuck your hand in a mousetrap and it snapped on your fingers you deserve it. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. I could care less, I don't watch the news.

It's called the news for a reason. There's 4 years of Trump gafs archived on youtube. Could always just post a link then which you'd probably roll over on and just change the topic real quick. That would be unproductive though because it doesn't matter. It's just media-saturated slop with no purpose other than slander.

We all know you like Trump man. I certainly don't care if you support him.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a liberal who identifies as a duck. Or maybe an actual duck. You just seem particularly troubled by Trump, a minor case of TDS you may want to get looked at, that's all. Maybe independents can contract it too. You don't like the guy and anyone who isn't chanting "impeach forty-five" must be a Republican ™.

I supported Trump up until what seems like an inadequate response to the coronavirus (maybe it was beyond his power as Shane suggested, I honestly don't know). Never enough to vote for him, but he talked a good game. Yet here we are, no wall, no significant progress against abortion, etc. But he's working against the poor, which was no surprise, and does bad stuff like allowing the use of dangerous pesticides. I might still support him in the sense that at least he isn't a baby killer trying to hand out UBIs, restrict Constitutional rights, and open the borders like so many Democrats, but I'd take almost any conservative nominee over him (Ted Cruz would have been great).

So I don't know why you insist that I'm a Trump fanboy. The guy is "tolerable i guess because he's not a Democrat" at best. I'm obviously not the type to censor myself to appeal to others. I mean, have you peeked into PPR by chance? Those topics usually end with me being called every "phobe" and "ist" in the book, if I cared what others thought about me more than being honest I'd probably not be complaining about the gay agenda, abortion, etc. The death of logic indeed.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu May 28, 2020 3:46 pm

So you know the only people who talk about "the gay agenda" are homophobes.

Just, thought you should know. But that's neither here nor there.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 pm

Well, you can be independent while simultaneously also not liking trump. Which is what I'm saying.

You said it yourself that you supported Trump up until the corona response. So that's why I think you're a trump fan. Or was. Whatever.

I'm not suffering from anything besides the power of observation. I would never rule out a candidate based on party affiliation.

I once again feel the need to say I don't care who you support. You don't have to defend yourself like I'm out here for blood. I don't call you names.

I doubt anyone here besides me spent 2 semesters writing a thesis on the media and administrative effect on the war on terror where they blame Obama for the creation of ISIS. All 95 pages are so obviously written by a liberal. Give me a break.
i'm a shapeshifter.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 pm

Big difference between upstate and the city, though everything seems to get lumped under one giant umbrella. They aren't alone, though, as there are a lot of blanket rules across entire states.

I haven't run across anyone that thinks it's a hoax. Just that the government reaction has been sweeping while failing to actually address the main problem, and also created far more problems than it solved, though at first maybe we did not have much choice since we knew nothing and were relying on awful data. We had one job. Protect the sick and the elderly. That much we knew very early. Florida has a large population, one of the most densely populated, and almost the oldest in the country. But their deaths per capita are 93% lower than New York in large part because they got that, whereas New York was an unmitigated disaster at managing the elderly.

Dr. Birx estimates that deaths are overstated by 25%. I still think she's being generous. Colorado decreased their numbers by 25%. This CDC definition where you can code any death that seems like it might possibly have COVID symptoms as a COVID death, I don't get it. Who is gaining from a bigger number?
Competition is a good thing. It's a chance to crush people.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu May 28, 2020 5:58 pm

steeze wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 pm
Well, you can be independent while simultaneously also not liking trump. Which is what I'm saying.

You said it yourself that you supported Trump up until the corona response. So that's why I think you're a trump fan. Or was. Whatever.

I'm not suffering from anything besides the power of observation. I would never rule out a candidate based on party affiliation.

I once again feel the need to say I don't care who you support. You don't have to defend yourself like I'm out here for blood. I don't call you names.

I doubt anyone here besides me spent 2 semesters writing a thesis on the media and administrative effect on the war on terror where they blame Obama for the creation of ISIS. All 95 pages are so obviously written by a liberal. Give me a break.
Sure, you can even be Republican and not like Trump, but his most avid haters tend to lean left in general. And I'm not being defensive about you insisting I am a Trump fan, but your tone certainly seemed condescending.

I'd prefer not to rule out a candidate based on party affiliation either but literally every Democrat supports abortion. I could probably turn a blind eye to immigration and stuff, but not that. That doesn't make me a partisan hack.

By the way, just as there can be conservatives who hate Trump there can be liberals who hate Obama.
Sim Kid wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:46 pm
So you know the only people who talk about "the gay agenda" are homophobes.

Just, thought you should know. But that's neither here nor there.
How curious... If merely talking about it makes one a homophobe, then what does writing a whole book about it--to "put forward a new agenda"--make someone?

Ah but you're right, neither here nor there indeed!

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu May 28, 2020 8:44 pm

You might wanna look up into the history of what the "homosexual agenda" is and who was promoted of using it. Guess where it came from~

No. Really. Guess.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu May 28, 2020 11:10 pm

Is that deflection...?

Anyway, on topic, there's a new regulation where I live requiring masks not only in stores but in public. It's a bit annoying to wear it when nobody's around but I guess it's for the best.

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 am

Random User wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am
Living in upstate New York during all of this has been interesting. Everyone up here seems to believe that it isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, even though our state is leading in cases and deaths. I think they are convincing themselves of something they want to believe, but it's a little scary that people won't take it seriously until its at our doorstep. I've have to work nearly every day since the virus started thanks to corporate laying off employees and even some of the stores in our region having entire crews under quarantine, so I feel like no matter what I do, I'm just waiting to get it from some idiot that thinks the whole thing is a hoax.
Yeah, I mean you lucked out. It's mostly just the city and long island. May as well be on another planet compared to down here in terms of cases. Upstate has always been separate from the city and island. Most tourists aren't coming to visit Rochester when they fly into JFK or Laguardia. Everythings spaced out there also which is a huge advantage.

I think upstate for the most part is probably the safest place to be. In terms of it showing up on your doorstep with a vengeance? I'd air on the side of caution but I think everything will be alright.
i'm a shapeshifter.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri May 29, 2020 2:20 pm

^ Which is why the more rural counties are saying it's a hoax. It's almost like things spread faster in densely populated cities. And where the population is dense.
I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:10 pm
Is that deflection...
Nope. Guess. ;) The fact may shock you~

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri May 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Sim Kid wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:20 pm
It's almost like things spread faster in densely populated cities. And where the population is dense.
Cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not but yeah.
That's how it goes.
Anyone riding the Subway is asking for it.
It's probably for the best though.
Once it gets above 80 degrees it becomes 100 degrees down there for some reason.
It's like a dirty sauna.
Shane wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 pm
whereas New York was an unmitigated disaster at managing the elderly.
Preach brotha. We pulled my grandparents out of assisted living the second we heard there was an employee case and they still got it. One is in the hospital the other is alright.
i'm a shapeshifter.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Fri May 29, 2020 5:43 pm

WHO is now saying don't wear masks if you're healthy unless you are taking care of at risk individuals. I wonder if CDC will likewise reverse course. Nobody really knows what they are talking about still, which is understandable but most information should be considered as such. I wear a mask in stores because it's required. I don't suspect we'll get to the point around here where you have to wear them to go jogging. We are loosening. Some and very slowly. Projected to take months. I would think almost everybody would be at least moving in that direction looking at the data. No need to open the floodgates, but a complete lockdown can't be substantiated either.

NYC certainly has unique challenges due to its population size and density, but there were also policy decisions that exacerbated a precarious situation.

I don't understand how they didn't start cleaning the subways daily until May 6. Shouldn't this have been policy since about 1900? Maybe they are too essential to close, but for a few hours after midnight I would think is common sense since every other place people go, most of which were cleaner to begin with, has been doing this for months.
steeze wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:17 pm
Shane wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 pm
whereas New York was an unmitigated disaster at managing the elderly.
Preach brotha. We pulled my grandparents out of assisted living the second we heard there was an employee case and they still got it. One is in the hospital the other is alright.
Smart if you can do it. If nothing else, hopefully this exposes the problems with how we treat the elderly to begin with. Regular people aren't exactly equipped to handle emergency situations, but neither are nursing homes and that's what hospitals are for.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri May 29, 2020 8:24 pm

out here, they never said "You need to wear a mask at all times if you're outside" - just if you're inside. Specifically because if you're outside, you're able to keep your distance from people more easily. Even then the masks are, iirc, just to make it harder to spread.

But since nobody out here knows how the hell to wear a mask, it's impressive we're not topping the list of covid hotspots right now. I'm intentionally coughing whenever I pass by someone who put it on just to get in the door. -.-;

Mom also has a business trip to Phoenix for Agilent, and the client wants to test her before she goes. I'm like "...can you test her when she gets BACK?" She's going into AZ's biggest hotspot. I'm sure she's at greater risk going there, including going to Denver which is currently our hotspot.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:25 pm

I'm surprised there's as much protesting where I live as there is. I can't even walk to the store I needed to go to because of them, I'm sure they're spreading the virus quite nicely. Hopefully this situation is resolved soon.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:19 am

The county in which I live and the one in which I work have started phase 1. Which is great, because I also want to do my grocery shopping in the county I work, which is across a state line.
looking up into pure sunlight

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:19 am

Remember that time where you could just relax on a Wednesday without worrying about getting sick, rioting, or if there's enough toilet paper to go around. Me too. Masks on a 90 degree day really cool the face off and give an attractive tan line as well.
i'm a shapeshifter.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:56 pm

This will be a big test for social distancing. Rioters aren't going to social distance, but social distancing at an organized peaceful protest with thousands of people has been proved possible.

I saw toilet paper in the store the other day for the first time in two months. I didn't go in the aisle that's been empty since March, but they had individually wrapped I believe store brand in a large bin.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 pm

Toilet paper has been consistently in stock everywhere I've been since mid-March, but those have all been relatively or actually urban stores.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 pm

I don't know about you guys but our stores have plenty of toilet paper.

Return to “Current Events”