"Project Veritas’ alleged CNN whistleblower claims network is ‘pumping out propaganda'"

Moderator: Deku Tree

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

"Project Veritas’ alleged CNN whistleblower claims network is ‘pumping out propaganda'"

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:31 am

https://www.foxnews.com/media/project-v ... propaganda
Undercover recordings made by an alleged “whistleblower” capture CNN employees casually confirming the network's anti-Trump bias and show company president Jeff Zucker telling top news executives to focus solely on impeachment even at the expense of other important news, according to the conservative activist group that posted the bombshell footage online.

Project Veritas, whose founder, James O'Keefe, describes himself as a “guerrilla journalist” -- built up the release on social media with an “#ExposeCNN” hashtag, and Monday published the first segment of what is billed as a multi-part series. The video features Cary Poarch, who claims he was a satellite uplink technician at CNN’s Washington Bureau before, he says, his “dream job” quickly turned into a nightmare due to CNN's blatant bias.

“I don’t care about the MSNBC event, OK? I don’t care about them. Let’s just stay very focused on impeachment,” a person identified as Zucker says in the recording. “We shouldn’t just pretend, oh, this is going one way. And so all of these moves are toward impeachment.”

Poarch allegedly recorded “several” of Zucker’s conference calls, in which he claims Zucker runs the daily meeting “with an iron fist” aimed directly at “hammering Trump” or “Republicans in general.” Poarch told O’Keefe that several high-powered CNN executives join Zucker on the daily call, including senior vice president of newsgathering Virginia Moseley and political director David Chalian.

Zucker, who began his career at NBC, rose from researcher all the way to president and CEO of NBC Universal. Along the way, he was responsible for increasing Donald Trump’s fame when he greenlighted “The Apprentice.”

The duo has famously feuded since Trump’s foray into politics, with the president attacking the liberal network on a regular basis and accusing CNN of unfair coverage.

Zucker is also heard telling staff to call out Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and encouraging CNN on-air personalities to attack Fox News.

CNN did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In the clip, Poarch said he decided to wear a hidden camera because of CNN's perceived bias, and that he secretly recorded Zucker’s 9 a.m. rundown conference call because the network was “pumping out propaganda.”

“It’s basically me wanting the news to be what they used to be -- news -- and not infotainment or a game show or chasing the ratings,” Poarch told O’Keefe. “CNN purports it to be facts first and that’s clearly not the case.

“I noticed after… that there was a strong group-think that permeated through the halls and that everyone was on board the ‘I hate Trump Train.’”

The video also showed someone identified as a CNN media coordinator Nick Neville being secretly recorded.

“Jeff Zucker, basically the president of CNN, has a personal vendetta against Trump… it’s not gonna be positive for Trump. [Zucker] hates him. He’s going to be negative,” the person identified as Neville said in the highly edited video.

The same person also said that many CNN employees want to err on the side of “journalistic integrity” but “big boss” Zucker “f----ing tell you what to do.” “You have to like… to a certain extent, you have to follow his verdict,” the man said. “He’s like had an on-going feud with Trump… he’s had an on-going feud with Trump since ‘The Apprentice.’”

Another alleged CNN employee, identified as media coordinator Christian Sierra, said that “everyone at the network” complains about the anti-Trump tone.

“They hate covering Trump all day,” he said

Project Veritas, which frames itself as a conservative whistleblower watchdog group, has previously released what it claims to be hidden camera footage of network news producers, federal politicians, and members of private political organizations making statements while unaware they were being recorded.
This kind of thing helps expose CNN, but it's not news that they're terrible. Stephen Crowder already helped demonstrate that CNN is pretty much indefensible. Personally, all I needed was the unapologetic blatant racism of Don Lemon which CNN let fly, but others seem to need more convincing. The tagline "Facts first" must have been chosen ironically.

Here's Project Veritas' video. It's only part one, I considered waiting until they were all released to make a topic but I don't think it makes much difference. Unsurprisingly, I don't see an article from CNN covering this. The only unfortunate aspect of it all is that it makes no difference. They exposed Google but there's been no change.

Anyway, interested in what people think. I don't think CNN has any integrity but that's my view.

steeze

Re: "Project Veritas’ alleged CNN whistleblower claims network is ‘pumping out propaganda'"

Post by steeze » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:08 pm

If you think that CNN has no integrity and Fox news does consider this. Shep Smith their lead anchor for their news division quit because of the increasing amount of opinion shows muddying the facts and basically because his network has turned into the a propaganda machine. He's been an anchor with them for 23 years. He is respected in the world of journalism. You can fact check anything on the internet from unreliable sources to reaffirm cognitive dissonance but when you find the unbiased real source and all signs point to Fox News being the spin zone for the president, it doesn't make for a promising case for the word integrity. There are hosts on Fox who say that the president has never lied about anything. Ignoring clear proof he has. Everyone's afraid to tell the truth.

See the problem with today isn't that the news is biased. It's that people pay more attention to opinions then facts because it makes them feel better about their beliefs. Cherry picking the news is the #1 reason people are misinformed. They pick out stories that makes them feel right about their opinion because it's on the television and the internet and they want to believe it. Not because it's necessarily true. A little hobby of mine is trying to find news that has little to no opinionated words with reputable sources. Rarely do I find myself on CNN or FOX if ever. Making a slam topic on CNN and citing Fox News though? That's like going to the Red Socks game wearing a "Yankees Suck" Tee-Shirt to see if people will cheer.
i'm a shapeshifter.

Shane
Administrator

Re: "Project Veritas’ alleged CNN whistleblower claims network is ‘pumping out propaganda'"

Post by Shane » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:00 pm

The distinction being someone like Hannity lets you know he's biased and just a talk show host. Don Lemon pretends to be an independent news journalist, which is not a claim that can be taken seriously, though he's arguably not pulling the wool over most people's eyes.

Shep's more of an example of their news division, which is why most fans of Fox primetime hate him and want to see him follow Megyn Kelly to the unemployment line.
Competition is a good thing. It's a chance to crush people.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:10 am

Shane wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:00 pm
The distinction being someone like Hannity lets you know he's biased and just a talk show host. Don Lemon pretends to be an independent news journalist, which is not a claim that can be taken seriously, though he's arguably not pulling the wool over most people's eyes.

Shep's more of an example of their news division, which is why most fans of Fox primetime hate him and want to see him follow Megyn Kelly to the unemployment line.
You're using biased as a euphemism. Hannity doesn't give his own biased opinion, he spouts what he knows is ******** for the sake of biasing his viewership.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 am

steeze wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:08 pm
If you think that CNN has no integrity and Fox news does consider this. Shep Smith their lead anchor for their news division quit because of the increasing amount of opinion shows muddying the facts and basically because his network has turned into the a propaganda machine. He's been an anchor with them for 23 years. He is respected in the world of journalism. You can fact check anything on the internet from unreliable sources to reaffirm cognitive dissonance but when you find the unbiased real source and all signs point to Fox News being the spin zone for the president, it doesn't make for a promising case for the word integrity. There are hosts on Fox who say that the president has never lied about anything. Ignoring clear proof he has. Everyone's afraid to tell the truth.

See the problem with today isn't that the news is biased. It's that people pay more attention to opinions then facts because it makes them feel better about their beliefs. Cherry picking the news is the #1 reason people are misinformed. They pick out stories that makes them feel right about their opinion because it's on the television and the internet and they want to believe it. Not because it's necessarily true. A little hobby of mine is trying to find news that has little to no opinionated words with reputable sources. Rarely do I find myself on CNN or FOX if ever. Making a slam topic on CNN and citing Fox News though? That's like going to the Red Socks game wearing a "Yankees Suck" Tee-Shirt to see if people will cheer.
I think CNN is far less trustworthy than Fox News, though they're not beyond scrutiny themselves. That aside, don't you have anything to say about Veritas' evidence, Crowder's arguments, or my example regarding Don Lemon? Or are they all dismissed because I linked to Fox News? Your baseball analogy strikes out, it runs on the premise of two equal sides but that's not what we have here. CNN is corrupt beyond repair, and while on that note, here's another video from Project Veritas proving it.

Anyway, didn't Smith have low ratings on Fox? Trump said so but maybe it's not true, I'd have to look to see if he's just talking crap. I know he accused Trump of being racist and xenophobic, that's usually a red flag to not take someone seriously because words ending in "phobe" and "ist" have lost all meaning to anyone who doesn't think Trump is literally Hitler. Maybe he's respected but I don't know why, probably belongs at CNN and likely won't be missed by much of Fox's audience.

Do you think you can trust "news" that's hand-picked by Jeff Zuckerman and regurgitated by Brian Stelter? It's a propaganda machine, plain and simple, a Trump attack force and little more. Focusing on impeaching him, getting his Twitter banned, chasing hoaxes--full steam ahead. Like Shane said, they pretend to be real news journalists but come on. They're even more biased than Fox News' political commentators lmao. How anyone can not see the problem there is beyond me, it's simply self-evident. Does Jim Acosta seem like anything more than an activist to you? It's fine if he wants to be one but he should have some ethics and be clear about what he does.

The problem isn't that news is biased, it's that CNN is deceitful about it. This post turned into a bit of a Fox News defense, which isn't intentional because I don't want to defend them and isn't what the topic is about anyway. I'm interested to see what you think about the things I linked to. Also forgive the tone of this post if it seems in poor taste, that's also unintentional.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:12 pm

It's fine, I don't really mind your tone. I didn't respond about Project Veritas or Don Lemon for two reasons:

The first being glaringly obvious and I really mean no offense here I promise. You don't understand how to disseminate the news. It took me all of 20 seconds to figure out what Project Veritas actually is and your opinions on CNN and usual posts, in general, lead me to understand you have a strong tendency to lean far right. While you might not be proud of that or for whatever reason or you don't want to admit that, I promise makes no difference to me. People can believe whatever they want, you may not even believe it about yourself and that in itself is interesting. In my eyes, people who dissect the news then go on to try to defend their network is exactly like being at a baseball game and rooting for their team because they THINK they are better. I appreciate your interest in propaganda as well because that's probably the most fascinating topic in history to study. If you truly want to open up your mind to who blew the doors wide open in propaganda, i suggest researching Joseph Goebbels, I think I've mentioned it before. Read some scholarly articles and if you're still interested, I'm sure you can pull up his journal online somewhere. To give a nod to your points on all those TV personalities, I find it kind of ironic that Fox's viewer base would give Shep Smith who is by all accounts a journalist, not a political commentator the lowest ratings. Which is why I reiterate that people don't tune into Fox to hear the news. They tune in to reaffirm their own cognitive dissonance in a society that is pitting their conscience against their ideal self. Look up Freud's concepts of the id the ego and the superego if that is a confusing statement.

https://global.oup.com/academic/product ... us&lang=en&#
This is also a book you can pick up that tried to focus on the study of propaganda in the past few years. This is a scholarly source written by three Harvard guys who study the field extensively. There are many case studies that gave cadence to both the left and the right. It's an informative read and puts the facts and research first.

The second reason I didn't respond about Don Lemon or any of the rest is that a conversation with me after you've shown all the cards you're holding will go nowhere. There's no way for me to tell you that the exact opinion you are pushing about CNN is entirely what far-right news outlets have conditioned people who digest far-right news and also lack the tools to differentiate between a narrative and reality to absorb and regurgitate. Without outright just stating it. We have a fundamental difference in approaching what truth means. If this conversation which echos through all the major news networks was a tennis match, I'd think of myself more like a referee than an actual fan in the stands or a player. I think you might be under the impression that I watch CNN or MSNBC or any of the far-left news networks but you'd be entirely mistaken. While I don't really appreciate it when they spread misinformation and create false narratives to combat similar false narratives, I do understand it. Conservatives have thrown out all of their historical values and gone all-in with someone that party leaders were adamantly opposing as someone who doesn't represent their views in order to retain support from their bases for reelection. There's nothing they won't defend no matter how outlandish it is, even if that means knowingly throwing out their beliefs and actively playing to their voters to maintain their own vanity. I can bust out 50 links right now to prove that point from their own mouths. Whether it's Mitch McConnell, Bill Barr, Rudy Giuliani, Lindsey Graham, Matt Geitz take your pick. The two-party system and super PAC nonsense is doing nothing to further American values. It divides, speculates and emboldens false narratives while the Americans who don't have the knowledge or time to follow the economic and global implications of lawmakers choices pay the price. People like you and me.

Make no mistake about it, I take absolutely no pleasure in what's going on in our government. I don't think it's a good thing for our country to go through an impeachment and to have people so misinformed retreating to their own corners of the internet to formulate opinions. Doesn't help our relationships with our neighbors, doesn't help lawmakers pass laws that benefit everyone, and it doesn't help our own intelligence to seek information with eyes stricken with tunnel vision. My advice to you would be to think about how your views compare to your parent's views, how your views translate into how you view other people and how your choices in the voting booth will affect your life. How we vote is comprised of those three things. Our own bias' reside within the first two and being aware of them is the first step in being academically inclined to removing emotional independent variables from decision making. You should really only make your choice based on the third one though in order to maximize your chances of being positively impacted. An honest answer for voting for a candidate like Trump for someone who runs a small business would be, "I care about the bottom line with respect to what my tax dollars will be spent on and how my business would be affected more than the sociological impact it will have on our society due to his rhetoric, cadence, and lack of awareness on the diplomatic ramifications that come withholding some of his beliefs." If people were honest like that they wouldn't have to defend some of the things the left pins on his supporters. People don't want to admit that they house greed inside themselves though so this will continue. That's what capitalism promotes and it's the lesser of two evils. Other than that I don't really want to speak on TV commentator's opinions, I'm more interested in cold hard evidence in an age of distorted views on the world before I formulate my own opinion.
Last edited by steeze on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm a shapeshifter.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Shep had low ratings on FoxNews because he was reporting accurate news which contradicted the opinion shows that FoxNews's viewer base chooses to believe instead.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:10 pm

See, I think that Fox News viewer base isn't exactly choosing to believe their reporting. It's that they lack the basic understanding of what news is and how persuasive language and programing can come together to support a narrative that is catered to keep them away figuring out information for themselves that is spin free. It's easy to watch 10 minutes of news. It's hard to go out on your own and become your own news source. For years the news has worked for the people with a slight bias that could be taken with a grain of salt. Things have changed. The biggest problem with Politicians? Lobbyists. The news is no different in terms of the flow of cash.
i'm a shapeshifter.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm

I'm supposed to believe Hannity is not a conservative?

What are we considering Shep's 3PM ratings bad in comparison to? The competition in that time slot (or for that matter the entire lineup of some competing networks)? No. Fox primetime? Yes. Way behind them. Did he provide too fair and balanced coverage that the average Fox News viewer would detest? Probably.
Competition is a good thing. It's a chance to crush people.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Shane wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm
I'm supposed to believe Hannity is not a conservative?
Seems like a real disingenuous question, man. Wish you wouldn't waste my time with it.

Deepfake
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 am

This is pretty rich, coming from Fox
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Current Events”