Panny's Correct Fast Food Opinions Thread

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

DarkZero

Re: Panny's Correct Fast Food Opinions Thread

Post by DarkZero » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:37 pm

so nobody's gonna say beauty and the feast
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:38 pm

meh. too generic
looking up into pure sunlight

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:44 pm

doesn't sound like a tale as old as time to me

also...i mean, you'd have to have a real contempt for aesthetics to see anything beautiful about me eating taco bell
boo---------------he shudders in his lampshade

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:00 am

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:19 pm
Who doesn't? Especially wet burritos, messy fun you should destroy in private for maximum carnage. I haven't had one in a while.
omg smothered burritos.

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:26 am

Quesoritos are what I live for.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:52 pm

Green chile smothered burritos!

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:09 am

wow this thread has had more legs than I anticipated but I guess I shouldn't be surprised anyway my SURE NOT TO BE CONTROVERSIAL BURGER RANKINGS. I haven't had every individual burger at every individual chain but I am trying to rank each fast food chain's burgers as a whole even if they have a variety like McDonald's or Wendy's.

I have not had a hamburger from the following establishments so I cannot judge: Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Dairy Queen, Cook Out, Smashburger

13. White Castle

Look, we all know why people go to White Castle, and it's not for the quality of the burger. The patties might as well be a meat paste. You go to White Castle because you've been drinking too much or you're high as hell, and you can literally order the sliders by the case there. After you sober up your stomach is guaranteed to tell you the mistakes you've made (even by fast food standards).

12. Burger King

Burger Pretender to the Throne, more like. But really, it's fine. But I don't love it. I can't remember the last time I craved a Burger King burger for any reason than "I've had McDonald's too much recently and I need to change it up." Something about the char flavor that you get from BK. I am usually very pro-char, but I'm not into this too much.

11. Rally's/Checkers

You go to Rally's for the fries. Their burgers are fine.

10. Sonic

You go to Sonic for the drinks and sides. Their burgers are fine.

9. Hardee's/Carl's Jr.

Like I said with their fries ranking, I used to have Hardee's food in general as bottom-tier, but I had it again recently and it was solid. Nothing mind-blowing, but I enjoyed my burger.

8. A&W

A&W Canada? Now THEY have some top tier burgers. But the United States version is still a pretty tasty burger. I'm usually going for a coney if I'm at A&W, but you can't go wrong with a Papa Burger.

7. Five Guys

This is where I might get REAL controversial. Look, I like Five Guys. I really respect their dedication to giving you massive piles of food for everything. I really love the options for toppings (with no upcharges), but Five Guys is just so overly FILLING, even if you just get the "little" cheeseburgers. I've never had Five Guys and felt good about myself afterwards. You could argue that can apply to any fast food choice, but Five Guys gives you so much grease that it's impossible to move after eating one. Just thinking about one of their burgers makes me want to take a nap.

6. McDonald's

McDonald's meat tastes unlike any other kind of meat on this list, in that it tastes way more unnatural than the other chains' beef. But that unnatural-tasting burger is SO GOOD. I have access to just about any kind of fast food burger that isn't a regional chain, and those burgers are maybe higher quality, but sometimes I just need a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. When you crave a QPC or any other McDonald's burger, no other kind of burger will quite satiate that craving. It's just different.

5. In-N-Out

In-N-Out lives up to the hype way more with its burgers than it does its fries. I've never had one "animal style," but a regular Double Double is just a really good, classic-tasting double cheeseburger. The fast food "special sauce" that's basically just Thousand Island is a staple, and I think In-N-Out has the best of those.

4. Steak n Shake

Steak n Shake has a million different kinds of burgers (all of which come with fries for like $4), but the only one you need is the classic double steakburger with cheese. I love the smashed patties, but I think the star of the show is actually the long, thin pickle slices Steak n Shake uses. Best fast food pickles.

3. Wendy's

The best of the "classic" fast food chains. Wendy's burgers are untouchable. The beef on one of those square patties tastes better than even a good amount of the "fancier" burgers you can get. I think the triple cheeseburgers are a bit overkill to eat, but every other burger on the menu is extremely satisfying. The ingredients all taste a lot fresher than what you get at McD's or BK. The Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger is really a bit of perfection.

2. Shake Shack

Milwaukee got Shake Shack a few years ago, and while it's a bit pricier than most other burger joints on this list, it's worthwhile. All their toppings taste incredibly fresh, the burger is really well-seasoned, and the potato bun is just killer. The one downfall is that the "Shack Sauce" is kinda mediocre and kills the balance a bit imo.

1. Culver's

Maybe it's my Midwest bias, but I can't bring myself to have anything topple Culver's here. Some of these other places have toasted buns, but the toasty butteriness of a Culver's ButterBurger is on a different level. The beef isn't quite on the level of Shake Shack, but I feel like all of Culver's burgers come together really well. Nothing too overpowering, just one delicious unit. Cheddar ButterBurgers are my favorite fast food burgers ever.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 am

If I had either of Shake Shack or Culver's I would probably agree with you on those; as it is your #3 and #4 are pretty solid imo. Very surprised to hear you rank A&W, well, at all, because we had one here until recently and it was pretty awful. May have been an outlier, I don't know, that's the only time I've ever seen A&W.

e: oh also I'm surprised you've never had a Dairy Queen burger. They're pretty mid-tier. Also Cook Out is REALLY good and a lot of food for the price. Only been there once but was very impressed.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:29 am

I've never had: In-n-Out (closest I ever came was seeing one down the street when we were in Frisco), Shake Shack (one opened here a couple years ago, but I haven't been yet), Whataburger (I think I drove past one in Texas once?), or Cook Out (never even heard of it).
Not listing because it's really not fast food, but they're delicious: Smashburger, Red Robin.

13) Rally's/Checkers
Loses by default, as I have been boycotting them for most of my life after 3 strikes on failing to hear the words "no pickles".

12) Sonic
Why would you waste your time on a Sonic burger when you could get a breakfast sandwich/burrito or a chicken strip sandwich or a chili dog or more tots than you've seen since the grade-school cafeteria?

11) A&W
I don't remember it, so it probably wasn't that bad.

10) Five Guys
It's good, but not nearly good enough to justify that price.

9) Dairy Queen
It's like a burger you would get from a backyard BBQ. That would be a compliment, if it didn't cost so much.
Recommendation: Cheeseburger

8) McDonald's
Tasty. Reliable. Cheap. That is what McDonald's built their empire on.
Recommendations: McDouble, Triple Cheeseburger, Quarter Pounder, Double Quarter Pounder

7) Burger King
BK is better than Mickey D's. The end.
Recommendations: Double Cheeseburger, Double Stacker, Whopper, anything with King in the name

6) Hardee's/Carl's Jr. (though I've never actually seen one labeled "Carl's Jr." outside of TV)
Once upon a time, Hardee's burgers were as unmemorable as A&W's. Then the Thickburger came & saved them.
Recommendations: Frisco Thickburger, Double Slider, Double Cheeseburger

5) Jack in the Box
They're almost in the same boat as Sonic, where everything else on the menu overshadows the burgers, except Jack burgers actually taste good & I order them sometimes.
Recommendations: Buttery Jack, Ultimate Cheeseburger, Jumbo Jack

4) Wendy's
Juicier than Jack, & I think that's the primary distinction between them in terms of quality. But I had to learn to live without them when their STL franchise was gone for like 17 years, so I don't go very often even now that they're back.
Recommendations: BBQ Cheeseburger, Baconator, Double Stack

3) White Castle
I don't drink & I don't get high, but I love me some sliders. That said, they are very much "a sometimes food" (trademark Cookie Monster 2008).
Recommendations: Cheese Slider (2-4 at a time), Impossible Slider (1 at a time)

2) Steak n' Shake (Barely fast food, but there's a drive-thru, so I'll give it to them.)
McDonald's, take note, this is how to do a thin patty.
(Honorable mention: Freddy's, which is the exact same thing, but I have to drive 25 miles to get there instead of 1 mile.)
Recommendations: Double, Garlic, Frisco Melt, Western BBQ 'n Bacon, Double Butter, Royale

1) Culver's
My first butterburger blew my mind, man. We have to not go there too often, though, because of the prices & the inability to not get custard with it.
Recommendations: The only real variations are bacon, cheese, veggies, & number of patties.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:38 am

damn RIGHT BK > McDs

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:00 am

Anything > McDonald's. I really find it super fake tasting. Burger King was better when I was a kid, and for some reason their burgers are always cold now, but still better than McDonald's.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:14 am

Steak n Shake is the most borderline thing I've included because I've almost exclusively eaten inside when I eat it and it's got the whole diner vibe, but yeah the drive-thru plus fast food pricing edges it into the "fast food" category

I have not had A&W for a few years, so maybe it's gotten worse recently especially as its numbers keep dwindling. Canadian pals have confirmed that their version of the chain still rules though. Canadian A&W is legit top 3 in this category.

I don't know what it is about BK anymore. When I was a kid I liked it way more than McDonald's. Now I really can't stand it. I maybe get it twice a year because I have fond memories of BK, eat it, and then think to myself how I should've just gone to McDonald's.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:16 am

I don't think I've ever thought "I should've went to McDonald's." Except for their ice cream, that's really unique and good. It's almost as good as a Frosty.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:48 am

"Culver's"? "Shake Shack"? What kind of crazy midwestern mumbo jumbo are you people speaking?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:49 am

...only burger place I go to these days is Dairy Queen. That Flamethrower Burger is good biz, and I like a Blizzard.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:50 am

shake shack is based in new york smh val

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:03 pm

Everything east of the Rockies is the same to me.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:58 pm

^^^We just go for Blizzards. Sometimes cheese curds, too.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm

^...so, you go to Dairy Queen, but you won't buy burgers there.

You'll go to Burger King and buy a burger that tastes like charcoal fished out of a dumpster, because it costs a dollar less. And then you'll go to Dairy Queen anyway, but just for a Blizzard.

...okay.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:11 pm

I’ve never even considered getting a burger at Dairy Queen

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”