The PS2 is 20 years old.

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: I am nobody

Valigarmander
Supermod

The PS2 is 20 years old.

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:09 am

The PlayStation 2 hit Japanese markets on March 4, 2000, reaching North America in October and the PAL region in November. By now it's sold over 155 million units worldwide, making it the best-selling video game console of all time.

I didn't play the PS2 nearly as much as the GameCube or Xbox. In fact, the only non-PS1 title I played much of on my brother's PS2 was Final Fantasy XII. But what're your PS2 memories? What would you consider to be its best games?

DarkZero

Re: The PS2 is 20 years old.

Post by DarkZero » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:22 am

I had a PS2 but honestly most of the games I had were hand-me-downs and weren't all that great. I still had some stuff I played though like Street Fighter EX3, Mega Man X Collection, and the EE&E game which I remember being pretty fun.

Most games for the platform that were good were also on Gamecube so I just ended up getting those usually.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:33 am

I was a Nintenkiddie so i didn't have one but I've sampled some of its library due to the sea of remasters/ports. Good stuff.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:41 am

My brother and I had a PS2 so naturally it was a very influential system for me. Played a lot of the original Jak & Daxter, the Tony Hawk franchise, the first three Ratchet & Clank games, the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai games, and more. Guitar Hero coming out for PS2 was a game-changer for me as well.

PS2 is at worst a top 3 game console of all time. Tons of killer exclusives and plenty of multiplatform games. The catalog was absolutely bonkers.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:49 am

You mean the Tales of the Abyss and Persona 3: FES machine. Yep, good times

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 am

I logged a lot of time on my PS2. It was pretty much my console of choice that generation. Great system.

I played lots of Nippon Ichi biz. 'Disgaea' was the big one. Strange------------I played them all tons, but I don't think I finished even one.

I liked Ratchet & Clank better than Jak & Daxter. Played every R&C game absolutely to death. Even went back and replayed 'Deadlocked' in co-op with my homey Shane a few years back.

PS2 sure had lots of weird dumb little niche titles. I loved the Katamaris, and 'Mad Maestro!', and 'Steambot Chronicles', and I've posted the trailer for 'Metal Saga' on these forums more times than I can count.

My PS2 was my first DVD player. First DVDs I ever owned were 'UHF', 'Airplane!' and the anime 'Metropolis'.
boo---------------he shudders in his lampshade

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:12 am

I had a PS2 but not a ton of games for it. I did play most of the best major games though. I remember being incredibly hyped for Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid 3 specifically, even though they're not anywhere near close to being among my favorites now.

The Dragon Ball Z Budokai series, Final Fantasy X, and Metal Gear Solid 2 are high on the list of my PS2 favorites. There's plenty I want to get around to playing eventually too, like the Ape Escape and Wild Arms.

I remember looking up information about it and the Spider-Man movie online ahead of their release when I was a kid. Those were some great times, really.

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:31 am

I played Star Ocean 3 on it. That was about it. Yeah, I'm not a PSTwomer.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:51 am

I could honestly spend the next year playing PS2 games that I haven't played yet and I'd be totally satisfied. I still have my thicc boi upstairs in my closet. Runs like a dream.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:20 pm

And many people just learned you could turn the PS2 logo.

tbf I thought mine may have been broken.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:17 pm

I grew up a Nintendo fanboy but the PS2 was my first foray into Sony PlayStation. I bought it when they released the slimmer version. I was the envy of all my friends who owned a bulky PS2. I think my first game was Jak and Daxter. I never actually finished it. I also started off playing a couple games that my mom bought me, which I sold a couple years later but now really regret doing so. She bought me Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown. Another early game I played with the PS2 is this sci-fi adventure game nobody remembers called Alter Echo. I still have it but barely remember it. I beat it once and that's it. Then everything really changed when I got Final Fantasy X - which was my first Final Fantasy game.

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”