ps2 games

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: I am nobody

Apollo the Just

Re: ps2 games

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Symphonia for GameCube is my favorite game of all time so I'm with you there.

Abyss has different strengths, and it's also really good. Symphonia really captures that whimsical fantasy aesthetic and is vibrant and gorgeous before taking it all to space and getting this enormous scale of thousands of years and just getting absolutely incredible. It has my favorite villain and cast. I adore its battle system.

Abyss is plotwise much slower paced - significantly so - but the benefit from this is that as I said it has the series's best writing. The cast is less likeable as people but they are all REALLY complicated and well-developed with a lot more messy relationships. It's just overall a lot angstier but it's done well.

As far as the battle system - Abyss is the ONLY installment that feels just as responsive as Symphonia did. It added free run, which honestly makes it. Really broken. You can outrun almost anything lol. One thing I will say is Symphonia's battle system focuses on side-to-side combat so you have a lot more aerial freedom to dodge and jump. Since Abyss has free run they took away a lot of that aerial mobility. THAT SAID, the FoF mechanic is probably my favorite battle system mechanic in any game I've ever played. It's really cool.

Symphonia is quintessential groundbreaking JRPG. Abyss is like its darker and edgier cousin that started experimenting a little bit. Then Vesperia came along and is basically symphonia again but worse and is literally only good if you haven't played Symphonia.

Anyway, up to you. If you aren't a fan of somewhat unlikeable because they are VERY flawed and interesting protagonists though I would proceed with caution. :p

BTW my opinion on the battle systems is more correct than anyone else's because i speedrun both 8)

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:00 pm

^Say, friend, did you ever play Vesperia? What'd you think?
boo---------------he shudders in his lampshade

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:21 pm

And what are your thoughts on Tales of Sgfdjtrdtfdkia?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:00 pm
^Say, friend, did you ever play Vesperia? What'd you think?
Apollo the Just wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Then Vesperia came along and is basically symphonia again but worse and is literally only good if you haven't played Symphonia.
:p

the battle system is sluggish because abyss was too broken since it gave you such freedom of mobility, so they decided to nerf it. if your battle system is broken because it feels responsive, that means you have to re-balance your fights, not make it feel worse.

estelle is a boring choice of character after abyss had such an interesting cast of spoiled nobility. ill pass on the disney princess in a game that is also trying to be edgy with yuri vigilante mccoolguy. it tried to be abyss and symphonia at the same time and is worse than both of those games in every respect. vesperia is bad txt it

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:36 pm

Don't be mean. I was sleepy.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 pm

my default setting is being mean about tales of vesperia though

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:59 pm

...that's fair.

Maybe one of these days you'll ask me about 'BK: Nuts and Bolts' or 'Soul Calibur 3' or something and I'll have my bad attitude face all ready to go.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:03 pm

I tried a few other Tales games and I ended up thinking Symphonia was lightning in a bottle. It did everything pretty well, but Phantasia, Symphonia 2, and Hearts were just not nearly as good, and looking at the others I missed...I don't feel like I'm missing much. Oh, I also tried some terrible mobile game, but I won't count that against the series.

^ Oh, Soulcalibur 3 is my favorite in the series. Mitsurugi struts around the stage like a puddle of melted butter of death, slicing through everything in his way. I was unstoppable, haha.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:54 am

Also, IRHP and Panfan already mentioned them, but Silent Hill 3 and Resident Evil 4 are absolute gold if horror that's more silly than scary is appealing. I'm told SH2 is also fantastic, but haven't tried it out yet.

The Arland Atelier games are very unique JRPGs with some cool crafting mechanics and even city building in Meruru, but they're a little difficult to recommend because they're *extremely* anime in a facepalm-y way.

No one has said Gitaroo Man and that's criminal. Gitaroo Man has "Born to be Bone":

Shadow Hearts is another weird JRPG with a lot of fans. The little bit I've seen was pretty cool, and you certainly don't get many other alternate WWI games.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:59 pm

I feel a little funny recommending games, because a lot of the games I like performed badly and got awful reviews. I mean, I love 'Metal Saga', I'd defend it to my dying breath, but everyone but me hated it. Sometimes one feels like maybe everyone else had a point. Maybe 'Metal Saga' was made just for me, you know?

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”