Pokemon Sword/Shield

Moderator: Scarecrow

I am nobody

Re: Pokemon Sword/Shield

Post by I am nobody » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:31 pm

You know, I'd be perfectly content if I never had to fight another Koffing, Rattata, Zubat, or any of their evolutions in any of the games ever again. The last couple handheld games were pretty good about variety from Team X grunts, but then Eevee showed up and made every single Rocket grunt in the entire game have some combination of those three and maybe an Ekans. None of them are fun to fight in the first place, but that kind of overuse made me not want to see any of them again.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:35 pm

one of galar weezing's new attacks is throwing hot pennies at orphans
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:40 pm

galar weezing is a good **** post but honestly i am not super in love with continuing the "different region recolor of old pokemon" thing? I dunno why I'm kinda like... I thought it was interesting for Alola because it was meant to be, like, tropical variations which is cool, but we already had poke-Europe so it makes no sense to suddenly have region variance here...? idk it seriously just feels like "welp it worked for alola lol why don't we do that again"

(fully honestly I didn't love a lot of Alolan variances either but the concept at least was cool for that region)

mostly salty because I love zigzagoon and its new edgy cousin sucks

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Honestly I'm not either, but I really like new Weezing's design. It's so great.
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 pm

thats completely valid the new weezing is **** hilarious

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:01 pm

i mean if galar is based off of the UK then insular evolution variants still make sense

heck, IMO, they make sense for any region

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:12 am

I think regional variance is a thing I could get behind if it felt more thoughtfully implemented, but since it is pretty much just picking like 6 Pokémon at random and giving them huge makeovers while keeping everyone else exactly the same, it seems pointless. HECK I would get behind a huge decrease in available Pokémon if all of them were slightly re-designed to suit the environment! That would be so cool. But it kind of feels like a superficial thing they tried in Alola and are doing again because they can.

Weezing gets a pass for meme value but the trend feels pointless and arbitrary. I love all of those artists’ renditions of variations on Pokémon based on real animal variations, and if these were as well envisioned I would find it really cool. But they’re really not so it feels... cheap. Like oh boy it’s zigzagoon but uglier for some reason, hype

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 am

Zigzagoon looks terrible. He looks like he got crossed with a Mightyena. ^^

I completely agree that it's really superficial the recolor of the Pokemon. ESPECIALLY if they're just going to do it with a few different ones. I could get behind it if they were redesigned for their environment as well. When I first saw Alola at a glance and saw they were changing some things around I thought there would be an abundance of changes in previous water Pokemon. I mean lets face it this is an island tour. But that never happened. They could have designed waters spilling into the ocean where you could catch special Pokemon in Brackish water. For example a Carvanha that's a different color because of the river systems and you could catch a Sharpedo in rivers same as you would find a bull shark only he's brown now. Something along those lines.

Something that really annoyed me was the whole call a Pokemon-HM service. I'm sure some people found that it was refreshing to not have to teach your Pokemon moves you'll never need during battle but not me. I feel like it destroyed the whole environmental aspect of the game where they had a chance to do something cool. The older generations took so much time to tailor areas around which HMs you would need to ultimately get through said area. Like instead of having a surfing mini game they could have just added Surf and dropped down the aspect ratio for the first time to a third person horizontal look so you could actually feel immersed in swimming on top of your Pokemon. Like you're in the water too, you know what I'm saying? Why does Fly still have to mean I'm being teleported to my destination. I'm not trying to brush my Pokemon hair and feed them treats. ESPECIALLY if there's no beauty contests like there was in ruby and sapphire. Rock in the way? Don't worry just use Tauros to bulldoze through anything and everything. Ride him through town to go faster, whatever man. So lazy.

Now that it's a console game and they can fit loads more content and make the game bigger why not expand on the parts that you WISH you could have done up until now. Give me the Mach and Acro bikes back. Make me feel like I'm not just some dumb dumb idiot with an iPad that calls my Charizard Uber to pick me up. I shouldn't have to wear spandex elbow pads, knee pads, and a helmet in order to ride a horse across some rocky terrain. No one should. This isn't Power Rangers where I just raise my wrist and BAM, I'm ready for action. Give the main characters some grit again. Make the game somewhat difficult too. I mean I know it's a kids game but they have to know by now that there is such a big player base of older players that would love the difficulty to be ramped up so you can't just STAB your way through every battle.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:11 am

I like regional variants but only when they're like Delta Species in the TCG and have completely different typings.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Yeah, I actually really hate new Zigzagoon and am entirely unimpressed by its typing (definitely agree re: different typings. Live a little!). In terms of the HM service thing, I honestly didn't mind either way. The surfing game was pretty boring, but pluses and minuses to both tbh.
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:54 pm

getting rid of HMs was one of the best things gamefreak decided to do

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:34 pm

Marilink wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:54 pm
getting rid of HMs was one of the best things gamefreak decided to do

I could probably say the same thing the first time I played through Sun. After I've completely beaten both of them it feels like it lacks soul and it makes every game save so cookie cutter. I just think from a game design perspective you build a team to get you through everything in the game. You teach the Pokemon you catch moves to help you go somewhere. If you don't have a reason to keep any rock, bug, or grass type Pokemon then why even bother ever catching them if you don't really need them. Only reason you'll go after them is if you're trying to get every Pokemon in the game which a casual player doesn't always have the time to do. Pokemon is a laughably easy game as it is, so training some weaker Pokemon every once in a while can be fun. Made it feel more authentic at least for me.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:40 pm

I'd agree that the implementation could be better. I'd love it if they would make it so that your specific Pokemon would be the ones you ride or fly on, instead of it always being Charizard or Tauros or whatever. But that would involve a lot more model work than GF is willing to do these days.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:53 pm

3.3 billion in revenue last year but they don't or aren't able to get enough talent in the studio to properly model a game screams that the bottom line takes prominence.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:26 pm

I think it’s more fair to say that the devs are clearly rushed and don’t get the time necessary to complete a game with the visual polish that we’d prefer.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:27 pm

^ very this. They’re churning out a release EVERY YEAR because the more releases the more sales on merchandise. I don’t blame the devs at all for doing what they can in a very rushed time frame. I do however blame this completely unnecessary release schedule and subsequent pressured workload.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 pm

Galarian Weezing looks like it believes in colonialism and taming the "savages".

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Depending on what Team Yell is like in-universe, they may actually be the scariest team out there.

Marnie could weaponise them and send them to rough up trainers to reduce her competition to become the champion. You know... making her into Charles Pokémanson.

Or if she doesn't weaponise her fanbase, then they're basically a team of stalkers.

Marilink wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:26 pm
I think it’s more fair to say that the devs are clearly rushed and don’t get the time necessary to complete a game with the visual polish that we’d prefer.

Personally I kinda like that they're keeping it looking like Ken Sugimori's artwork. Especially after the Uncanny Valley monstrosities in Detective Pikachu.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Marilink wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:40 pm
I'd agree that the implementation could be better. I'd love it if they would make it so that your specific Pokemon would be the ones you ride or fly on, instead of it always being Charizard or Tauros or whatever. But that would involve a lot more model work than GF is willing to do these days.
Wait, Tauros can learn Fly!?

And remember, "I'm-a Charizard, number, well, six."

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:43 am

steeze wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 am
Make the game somewhat difficult too. I mean I know it's a kids game but they have to know by now that there is such a big player base of older players that would love the difficulty to be ramped up so you can't just STAB your way through every battle.

Good luck.

There has never been a difficult Pokémon game that can't be narrowed down to "I'm 12 and didn't know what ____ was" or "It's harder because I shut off the EXP Share and therefore got outleveled." They seem to be following the philosophy of making you seek out the challenge - rather than "club you over the head and FORCE you to do the challenge". Of course you know what they say... you can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink.

I personally found it amusing when I saw people complaining about BW2 being easy, I pointed out challenge mode and they were like "...what's that?" or when they complained bout how easy X/Y was, suggested turning the EXP share off and not using Pokés like Lapras because then it'd be like a self-induced challenge. You know, like those "Nuzlockes" that everyone LOVES so much. The responses were:
"...why would I do that?"
"But then I'll get outleveled."
"Yeah but it's balanced around using the XP share."
"yeah but that's too hard because...."

I dunno... you'd be outleveled, therefore would be forced to approach battles with a different strategy than just STAB... Just saying....

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”