Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

MeowMan

Re: Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

Post by MeowMan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:21 pm

most of the games i've ever been interested in playing are 1st party Nintendo games and almost everything non-Nintendo i'm interested in playing is available on PC, so i don't really care that much about 3rd party support on a Nintendo console. it's not so much "PC, and Switch" for me as it is "Switch, and PC"

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:51 pm

CaptHayfever wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:47 pm
Maybe 3rd-party developers should learn how to make games that are still enjoyable at slightly-lower resolutions?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
Yeah but they're not gonna sell as much because our shareholders wanna see more numbers.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 pm

The Switch is at an awkward position for me, as i'd like it to get a 3rd party exclusive or two, but at the same time I'd mostly rather play said games on the PC for better performance.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:30 pm

Still haven't had an answer for why Nintendo should "settle" for being an "and" console.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Why does Nintendo care if you own another console? The ordering of your consoles in a sentence is semantic. Whether you own a "PS4 and a Switch" or a "Switch and a PS4", you paid Nintendo $300.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:52 pm

Well, you might get less games for it as a secondary console. Everyone knows the real money is in the software. A lot of people with multiple systems probably take the better or cheaper version of multiplatform games; Switch often gets late, inferior versions of those games, if at all. It's also why 3rd party exclusives aren't more common for it.

I guess Nintendo is satisfied in that position though. As long as they keep making Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon I don't think they'll ever need to do anything about it. Unless they make too many more Wii U-level errors then they'll probably be fine.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Isn't this whole thread about how the big multiplatform games aren't on Switch anyway? Nintendo isn't competing for those sales - they're making their money on first party titles and indies that people either can't or don't buy on other platforms, and contrary to earlier assertions, those indie sales are nothing to scoff at. And that's from when the Switch userbase was far smaller than it is now.

You also shouldn't underestimate how appealing a portable version of a game they already own is for many people: CDPR recently attributed a 38% increase in revenue to, among other things, strong sales of The Witcher 3 on Switch. Publishers aren't making so many Switch ports because they feel sorry for Nintendo, they're making them because people buy them.

It's one thing to argue that the Switch isn't what you personally want, but it's a success by any reasonable measure.
Last edited by I am nobody on Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:26 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:37 pm
Why does Nintendo care if you own another console? The ordering of your consoles in a sentence is semantic. Whether you own a "PS4 and a Switch" or a "Switch and a PS4", you paid Nintendo $300.
A lot of people only have the money for one console. If you buy a Switch, you're missing out on a lot of third party games. Nintendo should focus on being a primary console.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:34 pm

The fact it has already outsold Xbox this generation suggests that hasn't been a problem.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:51 pm

I'm surprised nobody has said, "They tried that with the GameCube", like people usually do when this topic comes up.

The GameCube didn't get third party support because Nintendo made the stupid decision of using those tiny discs, which made it harder to develop for.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:13 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:34 pm
The fact it has already outsold Xbox this generation suggests that hasn't been a problem.
Yeah, this. VGA, I feel like you’re really trying to find a problem where there isn’t one.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:33 pm

I don't think anyone is arguing that Switch is unsuccessful, just that it could do better. Also, Switch is a handheld and, naturally, some people want a regular home console.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:48 pm

I’d say they bridged the gap between the two very well. 85% of the time I spend with my Switch is in Docked mode.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Marilink wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:48 pm
I’d say they bridged the gap between the two very well. 85% of the time I spend with my Switch is in Docked mode.
Agree--barely used it as a handheld at all.
looking up into pure sunlight

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:18 pm

They just made a seamless way to go from playing a game on the go to playing on a TV. That's cool but it isn't a new idea. Although the transition wasn't as smooth and ends up more expensive, Nintendo already provided a way to do that with every Game Boy game via the Game Boy Players. Nomad and TurboExpress also allowed for similar experiences. In fact, Sony did the hybrid thing in almost the exact same way with PSP way before Switch.

So Nintendo didn't do anything new at all, they just did it well. That doesn't change that it's a handheld and doesn't actually replace a home console experience any more than any of those examples did. There's still a market for those people even if it's not us, and if Nintendo plans to stick with hybrids then they have a lot of room to improve to cater to that market.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:52 pm
Everyone knows the real money is in the software.
That's true for Microsoft & Sony, because they sell consoles at a loss. Nintendo profits on their hardware, though.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm

CaptHayfever wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 pm
That's true for Microsoft & Sony, because they sell consoles at a loss. Nintendo profits on their hardware, though.

They do but there's still a lot more money to be made in software. How much is it they're profiting on Switch sales anyway? I doubt it's particularly substantial. Google says there's a $257 manufacturing cost on their $299 system, so between all of the other costs of operation and marketing they're probably not actually making too much. I don't know enough about the costs involved with all that stuff but I'd wager they're close to breaking even, which is of course better than taking a loss, but I think my statement is accurate enough to apply to Nintendo as well.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:49 am

VG_Addict wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:29 pm
Who cares about indie games? Switch doesn't have Madden, CoD, RDR2, KH3, and won't have Cyperpunk 2077.
Just a nitpick but even if the Switch had the specs for it it almost certainly wouldn't have KH3 on it.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 pm
CaptHayfever wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 pm

They do but there's still a lot more money to be made in software. How much is it they're profiting on Switch sales anyway? I doubt it's particularly substantial. Google says there's a $257 manufacturing cost on their $299 system, so between all of the other costs of operation and marketing they're probably not actually making too much. I don't know enough about the costs involved with all that stuff but I'd wager they're close to breaking even, which is of course better than taking a loss, but I think my statement is accurate enough to apply to Nintendo as well.
Oh also if they're making a $42 profit on each console, then over the lifespan of the Switch it has generated 1.8 billion dollars in profit by itself. That's pretty substantial, though it's also really notable that with games included, the Switch has generated 9.9 billion dollars in profit altogether with its software. Even based on those numbers, I'm not convinced that making their consoles more powerful would genuinely result in better sales performance. Microsoft and Sony already have that market cornered as far as game consoles go, so Nintendo would be trying to push into an arena that's more competitive than the niche they are already filling. To me, that sounds like a risk that would leave their niche market high and dry, bite into the profits their hardware generates, and potentially leave them with less of an installbase than when they started.

Interesting sidenote I saw when looking into console profits - the PS4 and Xbox One also sell at a profit, albeit both at much smaller margins than the Switch. $18 profit per PS4 and $28 for the Xbox One. That's all according to IHS teardowns, of course.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 pm

The new Xbox's specs were revealed today.

Switch probably won't get any third party games that the Xbox Series X and PS5 will get.

Return to “Nintendo Main”